Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Lake Maitland and Minnehaha

I was able to get a two hour paddle in this morning, Tuesday, October 6, 2009. A family of otters waited for me at the Fort Maitland Park dock.


















Pictures taken looking east, at 8:40, into the sun. To bad the otters weren't on shore, like these mallards. Better light.
Both sets of animals stayed put as I stopped near the water, got the kayak off the roof and placed it at water's edge. Alas, all were gone when I returned after parking.










I paddled away from the dock, toward the canal linking Lakes Maitland and Minnehaha.























Into the canal.




















The wood duck was a precursor of many more in Lake Minnehaha. Unfortunately, all rapidly took flight as I approached. These mottled ducks were more sedate.
I took a counterclockwise course around the perimeter of Lake Minnehaha.























Lake Minnehaha has a large bird population, perfect for pictures on the empty Lake.



If not for lawn mowers, it would have been perfect.




The covered bridge always makes for a scenic shot. Towards Minnehaha in the top pic, back to Lake Maitland here.
Lake Maitland end of the canal.
I saw four other boats. A fast paddling kneeling canoer in the canal, a small fishing boat in the canal, a shell on Lake Maitland, and a power boat on Lakae Maitland. Out of the canal, I paddled east to a small cove, then turned back to Fort Maitland.






No comments: