Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Myakka River

I paddled the Myakka River today, Saturday, October 3, 2009. As usual, I was antsy with anticipation and up very early. Despite killing time by shaving (which I usually don't do on weekends), driving near the speed limit, and stopping for gas, I arrived at Myakka River State Park, 140 miles from home, 15 minutes before it opened at 8 am. I was the second vehicle, 5 were in line when the gate swung open. I picked up my Wilderness Preserve Permit, drove to the put in near the Park Road bridge. Past three deer. Only two fit in the frame.










I was in the water 10 minutes later. The Myakka River is high, the water wasn't very far from the road. It's been higher recently, I've been considering a Myakka paddle the last few weeks, keeping my eye on the water level, http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?dd_cd=02%2C03%2C05&format=gif&period=31&site_no=02298830












Lots of birds as I began paddling downriver.






Many black crowned night herons, a sample below.




















































The birds, blue, green, tri colored, great blue black crowned night herons, great egrets, snowy egrets, cardinals, king fishers, ibis, glossy ibis, osprey anhinga, cormorants, hawks, and more were abundant. A few seconds would pass with seeing anything, I'd think, around this bend, and before I got there, two, three more birds.



The high water kept the hundreds of alligators in the River hidden. I saw fewer than when the Myakka is low. I did hear them more than usual. A chorus of low growls. Made an interesting paddle in a narrow part of the River just downstream of Highway 72, the start of the Wilderness Preserve, as I made my way between humming alligators.



By 9:30, I was in Lower Myakka Lake.
The Lake, bulge in the River,like the River is deeper than normal. Although the Myakka fluctuates so much I'm not sure what "normal" is. No wading birds feeding 2o0 yards off shore today. I paddled closer to shore than I usually do. I got to the south end of the Lake, and Deep Hole. When the Myakka is low, you can walk across the water on the back of the alligators at this sink hole which was deep water when other places are dry. Today, with water everywhere, just a few gators in the area. The deep water meant I could get over the sandbar that circles Deep Hole, and continue down river.
My float plan was to go further down the Myakka than I have on prior paddles. I came to an elbow in the River, about 5 miles from my launch, my previous down River limit, and kept going. I thought I'd paddle for 3 hours. The River narrowed again, wildlife was prevalent.































































The three hour mark came and went, I kept paddling. I decided to see if I could paddle out of the State property, and looked for a sign like the one at the north end of the Wilderness Preserve. I did not see one. At he end of the day, I asked some rangers, they said there used to be a sign at the south end, but it has disappeared, perhaps in a storm. Back to the paddle. I knew there was a private dam just out side the State owned lands. I did not paddle much longer the 3 hours, as I began to hear fast water. The dam, pictured from the shore at 11:40.














The land owner, or perhaps a caretaker was on the site. No trespassing signs are posted, but portaging is allowed. He told me where to land, and showed me where to put in below the dam. I decided three plus hours and seven miles downstream was enough, so I headed back up River.














A good day for reflecting clouds. The top photo was taken on this part of the paddle, as was this.
I took a break at this scenic spot.

Back in the yak.






















I saw two other boats. One, a fishing boat with two guys who were at the Park Bridge when I was. They must have gone up River first, as I did not see them until my way back. The other, a kayaker. At the end of the day, I asked the ranger how many Wilderness Permits had been issued. One after mine. The kayaker.











It was 3:10 when I returned to the State Road 72 Bridge and was out of the Preserve.

I have a map that has the above bridge as mile 32, the dam as mile 25.2. That's 6.5 miles. I'd estimate it is another 1/2 mile perhaps more to my launch site at the Park Road bridge.







. I landed at 3:40. 7.5 hours, 14 miles on the Myakka River.

Of course, my day at Myakka River State Park was not done. A buck crossed the road as I secured the kayak on the car. I took the bike out of the back, and pedaled to the concession area. The dam separating Upper Myakka Lake and the River is under water. I had my traditional bowl of gator stew, then biked to the bird walk. Stopped for some pig pics.







There also was a turkey in the area. Umm, club sandwich. At the Birdwalk, a boardwalk over a sometimes dry, sometimes wet area at the north end of Upper Myakka Lake, nothing exciting in the bird department, cormorants, and a great egret. I had not seen this much water in the area for a long time. On a recent visit, pigs foraged on land that is now under the Lake. Better for this guy.
Next stop, the Canopy Walkway, but first a stop for a palomino pig picture.
A biking family told me they saw three deer. I did not.






The Canopy Walkway, suspended 25 feet above ground.
View from tjhe tower, 74 feet up.

Back on terra firma, I conidered the age old question. Why did the deer cross the road?


I also went into the forest, on a short nature trail near the Canopy Walkway. Near an interpertive sign that tells about the animals in the hammock, featuring a picture of a racoon, I saw one. A bit later, a deer.

I put 9.6 miles on the bike before returning to the car. I hoped to get a floating gator in the pic, with car, bike, yak and Wild and Scenic River sign.
I returned my Wilderness Permit at the entrance station and asked if the Park has after hours access for annual pass holders. It does. No more waiting for the Park to open if I arrive early for future visits. Watching the sunset for the tower will be nice too.

No comments: