Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Coupon Bight

Saturday, November 21, 2009, wedding day for my niece. I was staying at the house next door to my nephew Arlo, in a compound of homes owned by the Key West Literary Seminar. Arlo is the media director, and does an outstanding job. http://www.kwls.org/lit/pages/whoweare.cfm


The houses are on Love Lane, which has a nice open area. Perfect for a sister's reception, with the ceremony next door in the Palm Garden. As I was staying rent free, I asked when help would be needed Saturday. Arlo said 11 to 1. I told him I'd be back at noon after kayaking.


I decided to head up to Big Pine Key and Coupon Bight. 32 miles up US 1. I saw my first ever Key deer there Labor Day weekend, and thought perhaps I'd see some now in breeding season. As you see, I did. Two crossing Long Beach Road as I drove to the water. The road dead ends maybe 20 yards from the shore. I scouted the path through the mangroves, moving a log out of the way, when I saw a young buck, antlers just rising from its head.
















Still there when I walked back to the kayak, still there as I carted the yak to the water. Now joined by the full racked buck in the first photo. I got one knee to get the perspective. Forgot my life jacket, went back to get it. The pair still there. I bet they are fed a lot, despite the signs every 20-30 yards along Long Beach Road that it is illegal to do so.







I was in the water about 9. Paddled north along the Atlantic shore, where I saw deer my last visit. Then into the channel leading to Coupon Bight.























































Paddled its shallow water , inches above the sea grass, before heading back to the Atlantic.


Which, protected by the offshore coral reefs, behaves like a big lake. I paddled south now, than north again, looking for more Key deer. Did not see any from the water.

































Made another trip through channel connecting ocean to bight. Saw two small sharks in the sea grass. Back to the ocean, looking for deer on shore. I made a last transit halfway through the channel to open areas where I saw grazing deer in September, but not this time. So back to the launch site, which I marked with a yellow plastic tub, maybe margarine, on a stump. On the way, spotted two medium sized sting rays and a bonnetthead shark. Like the other earlier sharks, this was small, no more than 3 feet long.
I landed about 11, saw a deer on the way out.


































































Thanks to my uncanny sense of (bad) direction, I did not get back to Love Lane until most of the work was finished. Good thing Key West is a small island, you can't got to far before hitting water and turning around. I did help nephew Evan carry in the sound system and family friend Mimi with the flowers. As she walked past a blazing azalea bush, she said, if I had known these were here I wouldn't have run all around the neighborhood looking for azaleas. Nice to live in a tropical oasis, flowers available for the picking. I would more than make up for my lack of work after the wedding, a story for later. Now, I was hungry, so I hopped on my bike and went to 5 Brothers for a Cuban mix. Went the wrong way first. Ate half the sandwich on a bench outside the store, than back on the bike, to the house brother Pat and cousin Ty were renting. Which I knew was on Laird St., with a mail slot on the courtyard door. I had in my mind it was on the right side of the street. I biked up and down, not recognizing any of the homes, so I went a few blocks to the White Street Pier and finished my sandwich. Pedaled down Laird Street on the way back, where my sister was dropping off my mother, at the house, which of course, was on the left, not right side of the street. I walked in to say hi, than biked back, with nephew Tyler. Needless to say, I went a few blocks past the Love land entrance, which is on a one way street, so you have to know what cross street to take from the parallel one way.



We made it in plenty of time to shower, change and join the well wishers next door at the Palm Garden anticipating the big event.



























































A warm afternoon, I brought a blazer, but did not wear it. Forgot to pack dress shoes, so wore sandals. Which were "dressier" than the flipflops worn by two of my brothers. Lots of sandals, flipflops and those bright plastic things, name escapes me at the moment. Brother Chris and family arrived on bicycles, rented from nephew Evan's shop. http://www.recyclekw.com/index.html




















Jack supports his newest cousin as the minister reads his lines.


























Here comes the bride.
The ceremony was short, heartfelt and by the powers given the minister by the State of Florida, Universal Life Church, and most important, The Conch Republic, Aaron and Elena became husband and wife.
Post ceremony mingling.

















































A nice feature about having the reception next door to the ceremony is you can grab a beer while waiting for the "official" photos, which, as an Uncle, I was in a few. A few folks tapped the keg before the ceremony. One close relative suggested we do it, I said I'd wait, out of respect of the bride. groom, and my mother. Had it been a friend's wedding, I would have gone for it.



















Reception scene.

































There were delicious crab cakes, shrimp, and the remains of yesterday's pig roast, marinated pieces on skewers Probably more that I can't recall. Than came the pumpkin soup, with the pumpkin as the pot. I've never had pumpkin soup, this was fantastic. When I unpacked Monday, I had orange stains on my shirt and pants. Should have been more careful enjoying this creation by a family friend. Who happens to be a James Beard Award winner.






































I was satisfied, having no idea what else, if anything would be served. Than the main course came. Roast beef, spiral ham, potatoes, coleslaw. I went the meat only route.
Proud and happy big brother.



















This is the first wedding I have been to involving the generation after me. Not just of family, but anyone. The "kids" did a great job.














I'm sure mom, my sister, gave plenty of good advice, and hard work to prepare the festivities.






First dance.

Cutting, and eating, the cake.

Speaking of food, I have yet to mention the stone crab claws, fresh caught the day before. When family friend Simon, a commercial fisherman, saw the amount of claws he said the party would need more than wooden hammers and hand held crackers and brought a restraunt quality tabletop cracker. Shells flew around the table as guests clung, like crabs, for a taste.




Helluva party under the lights and lanterns strung by friend and neighbor, Jolly.
The only thing missing was Pete,Jackie,Becky, and Derek. Hope the photos give you a taste of the event.

No comments: