Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Econlockhatchee River

I kayaked the Econlockhatchee River today, Thursday, November 12, 2009, from Snow Hill Road, 11 miles down River to State Highway 46. I was able to do this courtesy of a friend, who, unsolicted, offered to shuttle me from the take out at Highway 46 back to the put-in at Snow Hill Road. It's nice to be the birthday boy. Of course, it was 4 years ago that I received another unsolicited gift, a digital camera from a generous group of friends and family. Thank you all, again.



I worked to noon, drove to the Snow Hill Road Bridge, dropping off the kayak, proceeding to State Road 46 and the bridge over the St Johns River at CS Lee Park. I arrived just after one, just as I planned. My chauffer arrived a few minutes later. Thanks to poor proof reading on my part before sending this email.

"Wow, what an offer. I work until noon, figure it will>> take about an hout to drive to Snow Hill,drop off the kayak,>> then meet you at Snow Hill about 1:00."



Not only can't I spell "hour", but I meant to write, "meet you at CS Lee" Good thing my driver is smarter than I, and seeing the kayak and no car at Snow Hill, went on the CS Lee. Sorry about the confusion, and thank you again, Joanne.



I was in the Econ at 1:30. A cool overcast day. Half of my female co-workers broke out their boots. Fashion, not practical on a 60 degree morning. The forecast called for partly cloudy skies and a 70 degree high. It was wrong, the cloud cover never lifted, and I doubt it got much above 65. I kept a windbreaker on all afternoon.






A few minutes after I began, I passed a narrow cut in the left River bank, a small pool behind the bank. These areas are good wildlife spots, water flowing through, or not, as today. Was that a deer? I paddled backwards, sure enough, a deer was on the far bank of the pool. It bolted as I raised the camera. First deer I've seen on the Econ in a couple years.



Red shouldered hawk.
The Econ has deer, but combine high banks and thick tree cover, they can be hard to spot.





Thirty minutes of paddling, and I was further down the Econlockhatcee then ever before. My usual paddle stops at Snow Hill Road, coming down from County Road 419. On occasion, I've ventured down River from Snow Hill, but not to far. Here is a link to the State Paddling Trails map of the Econ. http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/designated_paddle/Econlock_guide.pdf




Great blue herons blend in well with the woods.



Want to see it again?

There were a lot of great blue herons. And blue, tri colored, anhingas, great egrets, belted kingfishers and pileated woodpeckers.












All the trees may make it difficult to see deer, but are wonderful for bald eagles. I saw three, then another trio, then this pair.
More birds. Hawk
And a River view.



Great egret






Belted kingfisher.












Twice, while photographing the same old, same old, birds, bald eagles flew over. I got this one just after take off.
Spotted another deer, just briefly as I came round a bend. Just two other people my first 2 and a half plus hours on the River. Two guys fishing from the bank. In the shade of a No Trespassing sign, motor boat beached. I thought they may live there, but later, they passed me headed back to CS Lee. I was now back in a part of the Econ I had paddled before, my one time coming upstream and back from CS Lee. That day I had not paddled as far as planned, at least not on the Econlockhatchee, after beginning the day at the wrong bridge. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/03/st-johns-2-and-econlockhatchee.html










I considered taking a break at the Cul Pepper Bend shelter, which I passed at 4:10, but decided to keep paddling. The State of Florida says it is 11 miles from Snow Hill to 46, I've also seen it described as 12 miles. I figured 4 hours of non-stop steady paddling would get me to 46 before sundown.










My enjoyable day was disturbed by an airplane engine. Unfortunately it was on a boat, not a plane. A tourist boat from the Jolly Gator Fish Camp. I heard its obnoxious roar for at least a half hour. First as it came towards me, than going away, then coming back. I must confess, I took my mother on an air boat tour once. At the Lone Cabbage Fish Camp, on the St Johns at State Road 528. I'm so ashamed. It was my pre-kayaking days. Mom, I'd love to put you in a kayak and tow you.










Last bald eagle of the afternoon. I saw a least 10.
The last mile or so of the Econ has little tree cover.








Pasture. This reminds me. Mom, thanks again for the birthday box of Omaha Steaks.






One small herd of cattle began to trot along the bank. Hope they don't speed up, and decide to stampede across the Econ. They did not. I saw my second airboat of the day, coming over land. Wonder if they were ranch hands or joyriders. They did have the courtesy of slowing as they passed me, firing up the propeller at a bend when the wash was not in my face.






I entered the St Johns River at 4:45.




A very choppy St Johns River. Blustery north wind in my face, occasional whitecaps. I landed at 5:10. Twenty minutes to sunset.


Perfect way to enjoy my BD afternoon, paddling where I had not paddled before.
I also have a report on the Green Wave Forum. http://www.clubkayak.com/greenwave/treports.asp?trip=451

1 comment:

A.H. said...

Happy birthday, Dave! See you next week,

Arlo