Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Kings Bay, Three Sisters Springs

A few days ago I thought, where shall I kayak this Thanksgiving? I went to the Dave's Yak Tales archives to see where I went last Thanksgiving. Crystal River, Kings Bay and Three Sisters Springs. I decided to reprise that paddle.

Last year, it was 40 degrees according to bank clocks as I drove through the town of Crystal River. This morning, 58. I launched from the ramp between Birds Underwater Dive Shop and Charlie's Restaurant just past 7 am. Wore a windbreaker as I paddled the smooth, steamy water of Kings Bay. Smooth due to no wind, steamy as the spring fed bay was warmer than the air.









Saw one manatee, and swirls in the water marking a couple more as I paddled south to the run/canal leading to Three Sisters Springs. Two more swam under the yak as I went beneath the bridge marking the entrance of the canal. On to Three Sisters Springs.


A ponton boat was anchored outside the short run to the Springs. Half a dozen wet suited snorklers in the water. I paddled past them, and a manatee, then through the concrete posts at the entrance to Three Sisters. The posts prevent anythong wider then a kayak, or manatee, from entering the Springs. Another kayaker was in the run, heading out, as was a manatee. On shore, a woman took photos. I recognized her, Tracy, a local kayak guide and manatee activist.








I slowly paddled about the Springs.














Usually, I get out of the yak in the Springs, being careful not to touch the land, as that would be tresspassing. Today, with another kayker on the water and a friend of the owner walking around, I decided not to. Instead, I floated out of the Springs, and anchored the kayak west of the entrance and the manatee sanctuary just outside the Springs. Got out, and snorkled back to the Sisters.





Manatees resting in the off limits sanctuary. One in the Springs.








And another.











Same manatee, better light.


Two people were in the Springs, one with a video camera. It had to be Diane aka flkrkar. We chattted last Thanksgiving. A photo she took of me among a trio of manatees is my current facebook profile picture. It was her.

Non-manatee pics.

















More manatees.

This one, next two photos, was at the entrance to the Springs.







Out of the short spring run, into the canal/run and the sanctuary. I, of course, was outside the
sanctuary. This knucklehead kept rubbing this manatees belly as it rolled over and over. Trying to avoid him, perhaps? He needs to read this. http://manateeprotection.com/





I've touched a manatee or two in my day, you can find a photo elsewhere on the Yak Tales. But only briefly.































If you are in the water often, manatees may eventually touch you.












None did today. Maybe if I state in the water longer, but I had been in for a half hour, and did not want to turn into a fish. I left just in time. A tour boat packed with wet suited snorkelers anchored as I was toweling off. Two more went by as I paddled away. Another as I watched manatees in Magnolia Spring. Makes me glad I got out of bed before 5 am.








Out of the canal/run, I paddled south into the Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge. Past Buzzard Island to Banana Island. More tour boats and lots of snorklers in Kings Spring, so I kept going.








Blue heron, blue goose.
Coming around Banana Island, I headed back north, past the west side of Banana and Buzzard Islands. Carrion eaters rode the thermals above their namesake.
The wind picked up, Kings Bay is a large body of water. I went into Hunter Spring Run for some shelter.












Behind me, I heard, "You can pet them" A tour boat operator. Someone has to do a better job of regulating these businesses. But, that's what its all about. Business, making money. Putting as many pontoon boats with as many people in them as possible in the water. Film them touching a manatee and sell the DVD.
I paddled to Hunter Spring Park, which I know has been temporarily closed. I suppose it still is, even though the signs state "closed November 9 to 20 for Dredging Project" Its past the 20th, but front end loaders, big pipes and dirt piles dot the property. I considered landing, and swimming, but decided not to. The water for the showers might be turned off, and one is recommended after swim in Hunter Spring. Pollution can cause a rash, showering helps. I know. One time I showered, but failed to thoroughly rinse the inside of my trunks. Which I kept on for the 90 mile drive home. I learned my lesson. Subsequent dips in Hunters Spring I made sure all was washed, and swim suit taken off for the drive home.

"Discovered" this scenic area.



Along side a public park just south of where I put in. This is the pool/spring at Kings Bay Lodge.

The photo does not do justive to the springflow through the opening. I laned soon afterward, just befor 11. A short holiday paddle and snorkel. Spent as much time driving as in and on the water. Home in time for the Packers first TD.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: