Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Rock Springs Run

I saw more deer, six, than canoes and kayaks, five, on the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run this morning, Tuesday, November 17, 2009. Three bucks and three does. The former may be a record for me. An even distribution during the rut.



It dawned on me why turkey is a big part of Thanksgiving meals as I wheeled the yak down the hill to the launch area.
The air was cooler than the water at 8:00 am.
Steam continued to rise off the Wekiva.
Under 15 minutes of paddling time, I reached Rock Springs Run. Saw my first buck, upstream of the sandbar on the right, in the second lily pad filled area on the left. It walked along, than must have sensed me, as it ran across the Run into the woods on the right. A few minutes later, another buck, on the left side of the Run. I say it was another, as I would have heard the first one cross the Run. This one walked along, stopped, then ran around a bend, and, I presume, into the forest on the left.
Paddling on, a deer moved through the trees on my right. Then, on my left, the buck in the opening photo.

































This buck did not dash off, allowing me to take pictures. As I did, I saw the cut ear, and recalled another Rock Springs Run fan, who last year, mentioned a buck with a cut ear, that she called "Pretty Boy" I wonder if this deer did not dash away, as it is older and dominant in the herd, the cut ear the result of a past confrontation? This cut? You should see the other guy.

















I saw my fifth deer, a doe, on the right bank, in the woods, about half way between where the tree canopy closes in and Otter Camp. The sixth, and last deer of the day was upstream of Indian Mound Camp, deep in the brush on the right. I went on to Big Buck Camp, turning around at 9:30.


Someone must have been camping, as that is Kings Landing rental canoe. They are closed Monday and Tuesday. No one was at Indian Mound or Otter Camps.









































Back to the Wekiva. Just before I returned, I saw my first fellow paddlers of the day, the first of only five before I landed.
























I returned to Wekiwa Springs State Park at 10:50. Thirty minutes later I had by usual refreshing snorkel in the empty Spring before heading to work.

Programing note. Don't look for a report Saturday. I'm headed to Key West Friday for the event of the year. A niece's wedding. I will, of course, bring the kayak. I'll post a few pics when I return Sunday night.

No comments: