Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Silver River


After Thursday's manatees, and Friday's deer, I decided to paddle the Silver River Saturday, November 28, 2009, to see monkeys. As you can see, I did.
I launched from Ray's Wayside Park. No one in the attendant booth, I paid in the honor pipe. $5.00. I've seen non-payers get tickets. 9:00 am on a cool November Saturday, few vehicles in the lot. One powerboat launching, 4 Canadian canoe racers with two canoes. I was under way just before 9:30. This was my first Silver River paddle since June. The water was lower than it was then, even the canal leading to the River was clear.

























3 in 1. Great blue heron, cormorant, great egret.
Ibis in the cypress knees.
Fifty minutes into the paddle, I saw my first monkeys. I actually paddled past, but branches moving caught my eye. As there was no wind, it had to be climbing monkeys.
It was. I drifted back, easy to do as I was going up River, and watched the troop of about ten rhesus monkeys.

















Mothers (I assume) grooming youngsters, older ones playing in the trees, while Dad, or maybe Grandma, looks on.



















There were more monkeys on the Silver River than people on my way River. Just the Canadian canoers and one power boat.



The hard charging Canucks came back from the Springs just as I passed the half way point, the Silver Springs State Park launch/landing. I don't think they took any pictures.


It took me just over two hours to get to the head springs/theme park area
I may not have been to Silver Springs in 5 months, but I've been there often enough that I recognize the voice of one of the glass bottom boat drivers. Here's my tour. There are several springs on both sides of the River. Here are two of them.



As a tour boat guide pointed out mundane things like turtles and cormorants, I watched another troop of monkeys racing up and down trees along the south bank of the River. Other than the above photo, they were to shielded by the trees for pictures. Another item shielded by trees. I've never noticed this building before. Also on the south bank.
On my way up River, I saw the first alligators I've seen in the last few weeks, saw a couple more on the way down. Just one out of the water.

The way down River was busier than the way up, it was Saturday after all, but nothing like a summer weekend.
















More rental canoes from Silver River State Park than I've seen before. The rentals are a relatively new feature of the Park, maybe a year, year and a half.















I considered landing at the Park, but when I went by, two kayaks were on the narrow metal ramp, so I kept going.







I took a break down River. There are few places to get out, the shoreline is cypress knees and half plant, half water for the most part. The best landing area immediately down River of the Park ramp is marked "Private Property". Must be an old landowner, as most of the shoreline is State Park land.














I saw what likely was the same troop of monkeys, being fed by idiots in a pontoon boat. Throwing food. When I passed, they asked if there were more monkey up River. "I don't know, but hopefully there is a ranger to give you knuckleheads a ticket for feeding wild animals"






At least the tour boat operators weren't having their passengers toss bread out of the tour boats. I saw that a while back. After which I emailed my concern to the State and the theme park. Never got a response, but haven't seen it happen again.


I landed just past 2:30, a nice 5 hour trip. Extended the day, as I often do after yaking the Silver River my going to Silver Glen Springs. I used to go to Salt Springs, but that is still closed for renovations.



























With the cool temperatures the last two days, I wondered if manatees might visit the Spring. As I paid the $4.28 entry fee, I leaearned two were nearby, about 600 yards down the short spring run, and into Lake George, according to a gentleman who was returning his rental paddle and lifejacket. I bet they were in the Spring at daybreak.












I had the Spring to myself, a family was just getting out. I made my usual comment I make to anyone with out a mask and snorkel. "Bet its your first time, as next time you will have a mask and snorkel" "They are in a bag, back home in South Florida. We forgot them" They told me there had been a good-sized crowd, up to 3 PM. Florida- Florida State kick off was 3:30.






















I snorkled to the end of the swim area, peering out, maybe one of the manatees would swim into the Spring. Not while I was there. I did see two sting rays.









After my swim, I took about an hour walk on the Lake George and Spring Boils Trails. Indian mound.
Trail.




Moss draped pine.





I often see deer on the Lake George Trail, but not today. I did see Lake George.

Readers with good memories will recall I was surprised to find out on my last visit, 2 or 3 weeks ago, that Silver Glen Recereation Area closes at sunset, not 8 pm as stated on a sign at the park. That sign is now covered by a "sunset" sign. Speaking of which.
A quick walk on the Yearling Trail, across Highway 19 from Silver Glen. Once again, no scub jays. But, a great sunset over Juniper Prarie Wilderness

2 comments:

The Florida Blogger said...

So Dave, help me out. Monkeys in Florida. Where did they come from?

Dave said...

Alan, you didn't read my first Silver River Tale, in October, 2007? ;)
"The clear water and jungle like foliage have made Silver Springs a movie and TV set dating to Johnny Weismuller playing Tarzan. The monkeys are not descendants of Cheetah. They are rhesus monkeys not chimpanzees. The monkeys are the descendants of a a few placed on an island in the river by a tour boat operator in the 1930's as a tourist attraction. It seems he did not realize they could swim. They have multiplied and are found all along the Silver River. From time to time, reports of monkeys come from other parts of the state. I saw one near Blue Spring this summer."

In general, my first Tale on a location has the most detail on how ot get there, cost, history, ect.