Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 20, 2009

DeLeon Springs and Alexander Creek

After an uneventful paddle, wildlife wise, Saturday on the Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run, I wanted to go somewhere I might see more than birds and turtles. Manatees and bald eagles, perhaps. (I know, eagles are birds). Someplace close to home. Blue Spring was a obvious choice, but I was just there two weeks ago. I had not been to DeLeon Springs State Park since January. That surprised me, so that's where I went. Arriving at the entrance, the attendant told me paddling might be difficult, "lots of vegetation, and there were twelve manatees yesterday" Perfect.






She was right about both. A mat of water lettuce and other plants covered the area outside the Spring. The tour boat was not operating, weeds all around the dock, the fishing docks, and the boat ramp. But, on the far edge of the fishing pier, there was a spot to put in. So I did.
Saw about six manatees before I headed into Spring Garden Lake.






























Osprey, great egret, blue heron. There is a tall dead tree on the left as you head out from DeLeon Spring. I've always thought, "that's a good eagle perch". I've seen osprey and vultures on it, but never an eagle. Until today.
The bald eagle let the perch, flying over the Lake, scattering a flock of coots as it dove, soared, dove and soared, looking for fish, I reckon. Tri colored heron and another osprey.















I kayaked into Spring Garden Creek, but did not get very far.

When you can't see the end of the blockage, its time to turn around.



















































A second bald eagle soared overhead. Unlike the full white head and tail of the one I saw before, this one was not yet fully transformed. Back to the launch area, I hung out with 10 or so manatees.













I was in the water 90 minutes. During which, the wind blew more plants into the landing area. I had to plow through to get to shore. Put the yak on the car, walked around the Spring, decided it was too cool to swim. Also to early to go home, so I headed to Alexander Creek, 20 miles away.
It was a cool day, and the forecast is for even colder weather the next two nights. Lows in the thirties. This big gator was getting ready, soaking up the midday rays, such as they were. The above picture was taken on the return paddle, it had been in the same spot on the way to Alexander Spring from the Lake County 445 bridge.













I arrived at Alexander Spring. I had the snorkel gear, but decided to stay in the yak and head back. To cool to paddle back wet after a swim.



















































Saw two otters on the paddle back to the bridge. Only two people. Criminals. Using a motor upcreek of the bridge. Or perhaps they can't read the "No Motors Allowed Sign". As I approached the bridge, a bald eagle flew over. I wondered if it would land on a tree I had just passed, a tree where eagles often roost. Paddled beneath and beyond the bridge for a few minutes. Then back, under the span again to check out the eagle tree.











I began the day hoping to see some impressive wildlife. Bald eagles, manatees, alligators, and otters filled the bill. If only Culllen Jenkins had held on to Rothlesberger with 20 seconds to go, It would have been a perfect day.

No comments: