Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Ichetucknee River

Depending on the source material, "Ichetucknee" is a Timucun, or Creek, or Seminole, phrase for place, or pond, or river, of beaver. What cannot be disputed is beavers are still on and in, the Ich. I saw my first ever today, Saturday, December 5, 2009. Happy Birthday, Pete !

It was a rainy end to the week here in Winter Park, beginning Thursday night and continuing through this morning. Thanks to the world wide web, Friday night I searched what spot in Florida would have the best weather. Fort White, a few miles from the Ich, had a 20% chance at 9:00 am. Much better than the 70% close to home, 60% in Ocala , 70% in Tampa, 90% in Jupiter, even 30% in St. Augustine. So I headed north. Light rain for most of the 147 mile drive, but when I arrived at the tube take out/my launch shortly before 9, it stopped.

Three otters swam just off the dock, when I dropped off the yak. They were gone when I returned after parking the car.


Like me, the otters went up River.

Steam rose above the spring fed Ichetucknee.
These birds were all seen during a ten minute span, an hour into the paddle, in an area where the Ich flows through low lying vegetation, including wild rice.























I briefly stopped at Devil's Eye Spring.

As i was over the Spring, I heard voices. I waited for a group of about 6 kayakers to come down the River. "We thought we were the only ones crazy enough to be out" I prefer "smart enough"


Ten minutes later, I heard a loud, SPLAT ! and saw what caused it. First thought, that's a funny looking otter, then, what is a dog doing in the River, final, and correct thought, it's a beaver ! First I've ever seen.
There were two of the large rodents. The splat was ones tail hitting the water, probably when it heard me approach. They swam about for awhile, then disappeared into the bank.


I saw the beavers just outside Blue Hole Spring, the largest spring feeding the Ich. On the trail to Blue Hole, a sign describing the area states beavers are present. It was good to see them.



team still rose from the surface as I reached Ichetucknee Spring, 10 minutes to 11:00









I landed, pulled the yak up on the dock, chatted with a couple enjoying the view. The only people I saw during the hour I spent at Ichetucknee Springs State Park. I grabbed my snorkel gear, took this obligatory photo of Ichetucknee Spring
as I passed it on my way to Blue Hole. I was not sure if I would snorkel, but wanted to be prepared. If beavers were in the Spring, maybe I'd join them. No beaver. I decided not to snorkel, as the half mile walk back to Ichetucknee Spring and the yak through the woods would be a bit cool. However, after a dip in Ichetucknee Spring, I could dry and change in a nearby restroom.



























I can't drive 147 miles and not snorkel. Besides, the water was a comfortable 72. Perhaps a bit cooler on the surface. According to weather.com, the air temperature was 50 at 11 am.
























The worst part was getting out. But I toweled off, went into the restroom, put on dry clothes, and was ready for the paddle down River. Had a sandwich, and was on my way. Passing Blue Hole, on of the beavers was on the bank, eating its lunch, a 4 inch diameter log. My photo only has the log. It got in the water, that photo I have. The opener on this Tale, and this
It approached the yak, and as soon as I got apprehensive, executed a beautiful flip turn, and as before, disappeared into the bank. Which, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, is normal behavior. "Some beavers in Florida do not build the massive stick lodges associated with northern colonies. Instead, they are more likely to live in deep dens in the banks of streams, usually as a pair with their offspring from two breeding seasons." One of the beavers must have come out, for as I continued down the Ich I heard another Splat !. Again, the FWC: "the broad flat tail is used as a rudder, a propeller, or may be slapped on the water as a warning." Down River pics.














Paused again at Devil's Spring.


And continued, slow with the flow. Late fall colors in North Florida.














Woodstorks



















































I saw one paddler as I went down the Ich. A park ranger, coming up River. He told me he had seen a family of otters. Probably the same ones I saw in the morning. I had seen another otter just past Devil's Spring. I saw one of the family shortly after I left the ranger.








I landed about 2, put the yak on the car. My plates were up for renewal last month. I put my money where my mouth, and typing fingers are.
There is not a kayaking plate. Yet.
In support of Florida's Springs, I drove 15 miles to Troy Springs State Park. Maybe I'd see a manatee in this 1st magnitude spring on the Suwanee River.



No manates, but a lot of turtles.













The Spring also contains the remains of the scuttled Confederate ship "Madison"

Along with interesting limestone formations in, and along side the massive, 75 feet deep, hole.
View from the deck, looking towards the Suwanee
Looking down at the Spring


I saw three people, one a Park employee. Strolled a 1/2 nature trail through the hammock. The interpetive signs appear brand new, and larger letters than in other State Parks. A nod to an aging population perhaps, just like when highway signs got larger print a few years ago. So, no problem seeing the answer to Who Rakes The Leaves?--if you've walked any Florida State Park, trail , you've see that sign.


The Park office is in this building
with this view

Remanats of a red brick stair way lead to the Spring. The current access is a zig zag concrete walkway. Reminding me of Atwater Beach in my youth. Those of you who grew up with me will get the reference. I wanted to ask about the building, some history, perhaps buy a T-shirt, but it closed at 4:00, It was now 4:15. Besides, if I buy a t-shirt, my first should be from Wekiwa Springs State Park.

No comments: