Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lake Maitland and Minnehaha

I got a short paddle in this morning, December 2, 2009. Less than 2 hours on Lakes Maitland and Minnehaha. I landed just about 10 am due to ... LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 PM EST THIS EVENING... A LAKE WIND ADVISORY IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS ARE FORECAST TO REACH 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. SUCH STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CREATE ROUGH AND HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS ON AREA LAKES AND THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS. THIS MAY RESULT IN HIGH WAVES WHICH MAY TIP OR SWAMP SMALL CRAFT.
It was already breezy at 8:15











It is said that ibis are the first birds to leave when a storm is approaching. I did not see any.










Anhingas must be the last to leave.









I did my usual paddle from Fort Maitland Park, to the canal linking Lake Maitland to Lake Minnehaha, with a side visit to Lake Nina. Took a counterclockwise route around Lake Minnehaha.






In addition to anhingas and a great egret, I saw great blue and green herons, belted kingfishers and wood ducks, moorhens and coots. Red shouldered hawk in the canal.




Blue heron and a last anhinga in Lake Nina.
Back to Lake Maitland. Time to call it a day. Only one other boat on the water, three guys in a fishing boat who landed before I did.

No comments: