Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sanibel Day Four


I had to leave Sanibel Island Tuesday, December 15, 2009, but not before getting the kayak in the water a final time. After breakfast on the porch.

I launched from the beach in front of the condo. Wheeled the yak through the bbq area on the left of the pool, lifting it at one tight turn, then down the boardwalk just visible through the slats on the porch railing. I never put the yak in from Eileen and Pat's other condo, I think this new one is closer to the Gulf. I took on some water as I launched, it was a bit choppy. Should have put the spray skirt on. I paddled west, wind at my back, past the Shell Island Beach Club.
My home for the last four days. A line of buoys parallels the beach, one hundred or so yards offshore. I like what they state.
Blue water, blue roof and pelicans.
Brown pelicans were the diving all over. That often means dolphins are near, but I did not see any.











I put the spary skirt on when I turned around, as I now was heading into the waves. I had paddled a bit over a mile. I know, because there are green highway style markers on the beach. Another view of the SIBC I thought about paddling around the eastern tip of the island to the fishing pier, but it was too rough at Lighthouse Point where currents collide. So I took a few photos and headed back to the beach.



I landed, wheeled the yak across the beach, over the boardwalk, past the pool, under the garage, to the car. Showered, packed , made lunch, said my good-byes and headed home at 12:30. Can't wait until next year. Hopefully I'll see Derek. (My godson, who arrived after I left)

No comments: