Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Dear

I mean, Happy New Year. I began 2010 the same way I began 2008 and 2009. Going to Wekiwa Springs State Park and kayaking Rock Springs Run. I wanted to go somewhere else, but the forecast called for rain all over peninsular Florida. Good day to stay close to home, get an early start, and, hopefully, finish before the rain came. I woke up at 6, to the sound of rain. Went back to sleep. Arose again about 7. It wasn't raining. Arrived at the Park just after is opened and was on the Wekiva River at 8:20.


To Rock Springs Run and the upstream paddle.












I saw the three deer 50 minutes into the paddle.























It began to rain.






The light rain increased in intensity as I passed Big Buck Camp. My plan was to paddle for two hours. I turned around after an hour fifty, a few minutes into the wooded section of the Run up stream of Big Buck.


I didn't mind the rain. It keeps people off the run. Until it got hard. Very hard. A few blurry egret and great blue heron photos through the deluge. It let up as I returned to the Wekiva River. I felt like it was hardly raining as I took this picture. Seeing the raindrops bouncing off the River, I guess it still was coming down pretty hard.

I landed just past noon. Just light rain as I wheeled the yak up the hill to the car. All the rain, which you may have seen if you watched the Capital One Bowl, is the precursor to a cold front. Nighttime temps in the 30's. Good manatee watchcing weather the next couple days.

No comments: