Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lake Kissimmee State Park

A new location for Dave's Yak Tales. I kayaked here once before, May, 2007. The Yak Tales began in October of that year. I had visited the 6000 acre State Park a few times in my pre kayaking days. Miles of hiking trails, plenty of wildlife. Not to mention 3 lakes, two creeks and a canal. Looking at a Park map, it appears you can launch, head out the canal into Lake Kissimmee, to Tiger Creek, to Rosalie Creek, to Lake Rosalie, to the Zipprer Canal, back to the launch.
I was thinking of doing it. But, I forgot this.

"No Watercraft Permitted Beyond This Point" The water was flowing fast over the orange buoys in the background. I still thought I could do the 3 lake, 2 creek, canal circumnavigation. To end the suspense, I did not. It would have made a long day to go all the way to the other end of the canal and find it blocked. As it was, I was out for 5 hours. Paddling out from the launch in the canal to Tiger Cove, briefly into Lake Kissimmee, to Tiger Creek, into Tiger Lake, across the northern half of the Lake to Rosalie Creek, up the Creek for a while, then back. The bird life was good in the boat basin near the launch.
Wood storks, blue heron, red shouldered hawk.













I launched about 10 am, Sunday, January 3, 2010, for my first Kissimmee State Park visit in 2 and a half years. One reason I have not been back is the big lake, Kissimmee, is popular with airboaters. It is cold in Florida this weekend, so I thought that would keep people off the water. It did. I saw one power boat launch, one return as I was launching- a duck hunter, palm fronds for camouflage all around the hull, no airboats. None seen, I did hear them. As I said Lake Kissimmee is big, 35,000 acres. Out the canal.
Into Tiger Cove and Lake Kissimmee. Tiger Creek enters Lake Kissimmee on the southeast corner of Tiger Cove. Which makes sense. I made two false starts before I found it. But, had I not, I would not have seen a glossy ibis, among other things.
















From my paddle two and a half years ago, I remembered that when I saw cows, I was in Tiger Creek. I saw a osprey platform, occupied by vultures, and thought, "I remember this". Sure enough, it was on the ranch property.

Back home, I found the email I sent to family and friends after my May, '07 paddle. It mentions the canal barrier, the osprey platform, and has a cow picture. If I had re-read it before I left today, I would have saved some time. On the other hand, had I saved time, I might not have seen as many of the birds of Tiger Creek.










































Tiger Creek flows thorough a marsh with few trees. Birds like the black crowned night heron above and red shouldered hawk below perch on bushes.
It took a bit over and hour to navigate the creek to Tiger Lake.

I set course along the north shore of the Lake, looking for Rosalie Creek. Tiger Creek enters Tiger Lake on the northeast side, Tiger Lake is on the northwest. I found Rosalie Creek, it is marked by Slow No Wake sign. Rosalie is narrower than Tiger Creek. More trees, mostly red maple as in the first photo. Most prevalent wildlife was vultures. I heard something in the brush, not sure if otter, alligator, or pig.

I pulled the yak up here to have lunch. This is the Park side, the other bank is posted No Trespassing.




Back in Rosalie Creek, I resumed paddling. And wished I had my sweatshirt. Saturday, on the Weeki Wachee, I went out in t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweat shirt, and windbreaker. I removed the sweatshirt before I got half way. Sunday, I left the sweatshirt in the car, thinking it would warm up. It never did. Or, not much. 37 degrees at 10 am, 45 at 3 in nearby Lake Wales, according to weather.com. I felt as if I could pierce the low hanging cloud bank with my paddle.

Tiger Lake has homes, but I saw no one on the Lake. Or, in either of the creeks. Back into Tiger Creek, I saw one, and heard several pigs. No porky pics.


























Returned to Lake Kissimmee. Coots near shore.










It was a good day for hawks. And glossy ibis Two bald eagle flew overhead, one as I was on Lake Kissimmee, the other, low over the canal.




Back in the launch area.















I call this shot "Cradle to Grave"
I landed, the parking lot which had held 5 of five trucks with boat trailers now just had a few SUVs with picnicking families. I went for a stroll on one of the Park's Trails. Trees on one side, wide open spaces on the other.



Saw two deer


An observation tower was closed. "Structural issues"
I left the Park about 4:15. Keeping to the 15 mph limit on the long winding road, pulling over to let people pass. Slower is better. To spot a scrub jay just before the gate.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Dave! Nice paddling pics! Hopefully, it is warmer in Florida then it is currently in North Carolina where I paddle! ;-) Looks like you have been "yaking" for a number of years? Can you give some details on your kayak? Model? Length? etc. Looking forward to more of your kayak adventures!

Dave said...

Hey Mike. 38 degrees at 8:48 pm. My current kayak, since March, 09,is a Wilderness Tsunami 140. 14 footer.
Before that, a 13 foot Sun Velocity, now the Riot Voyager. Both purchased used