Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Myakka River

I saw my first ever crested caracara today, Saturday, January 23, 2010 as I paddled the Myakka River in Myakka River State Park. I have read that these impressive birds can be seen in the Park, and was excited to finally see one. I had just launched from the Park bridge when I saw it. Second photo of the day, after this hawk.


According to the Cornell Birdlab, an excellent resource the crested caracara is a carrion eating falcon. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Crested_Caracara/id That's why its hanging out with the vulture. Both birds, and hundreds of other vultures could have feasted on thousands of dead fish, killed by the recent cold spell. A Park Ranger told me about it when I got my Wilderness Permit, but it had to be seen, and smelled, to be believed.
Putreyfing fish along the banks, floating down river, dead fish dams as above wherever the current pushed them into an obstruction. Good think it was windy, or the stench would have been overbearing. The wind was at my back as I made my way down river. I launched just before 9, ahead of a group in 3 canoes and kayaks who were going down River to camp. As its a first, I'm posting all photos of the caracara.




I passed three canoers who had been in front of me when I entered the Park, they launched from the picnic area downstream of the bridge. I saw no else until I turned around, three hours later and re encountered both groups.

























Other than the highlight of caracara bird life was somewhat sparse. A possible bald eagle, and a flock of glossy ibis, hidden in the grass, were most notable.




























Maybe all the alligators were keeping the birds away.




































There were a LOT of alligators.



The Myakka is well known for its abundance of alligators, but today there seemed to be more than ever.









My theory is they were catching up on lost sun time. Soaking up energy they were unable to obtain the first two weeks of the year when it was very cold for Florida















I reached the down River dam in three hours, and turned back.




















I saw the trio that had launched from the picnic area on the bank, a few miunutes later, the campers who said they wondered when they'd see me again. I had told them I was going to paddle for two hours then turn back. Two turned into three. I wanted to see more alligators.



While on shore, I put a fresh disk in the camera. In order to have enough memory to get some alligator action on video. Filming would have been easier on the downstream paddle. Paddling up River, into the wind, filming, wasn't easy. I deleted a lot. The best is at the end of the Tale.














The pigs were on the west shore of Lower Lake Myakka. I paddled north, the wind came from the east. I did not think to bring a spary skirt, but it would have come in handy. On the other hand, I only took on a little water as I hit one wave wrong.


div> Some one has placed a stake with a ribbon at the north end of the Lake where it narrows. A good thing, as it can be hard to find. Not that I have never not located the channel, but sometimes I've done some additional exploring.





























I deceided to take pictures of every gator I saw.










Delete the bad pics.










And post them on the Tale for your viewing pleasure.




























With an occasional bird, blue heron above, great egeret below, mixed in.













Saw two more paddling groups, two guys in the Wilderness Area, three gals when I was north of State Highway 72, back in the Park proper.




































I landed at 3:20, 6 plus hours after I began













But of course, my day was not done. Rode the bike to the Park concession. Took a picture of a limpkim pair, and one more alligator.





Alligator stew, that is.

Back on the bike, pedalling along Upper Myakka Lake, to the Birdwalk.
Just a few wading great egrets, and in the distance, a roseete spoonbill. It looked like I could get a better view of the spoonbill from the road, so I got back on the bike. I was unable to find it. Saw pigs as I biked back, no deer. The Park was crowded, lots of cars on the road. Stopped at the Canopy Walkway, did the nature trail loop on the ground, thinking the later it got, the less people would be on the tower.
I coopleted the short loop, and decided to skip the Canopy Walkway. I was beat. Climbing 94 feet had little appeal. But, the view did, I changed my mind.



Last pics, wood storks at the Park bridge.










1 comment:

freejazzcat said...

Beast, that is a whole lotta gators, maybe you should start biking again! I am afraid we will not have all of you at Zakfest this year otherwise!