Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Rock Springs Run


I had a fantastic day kayaking Rock Springs Run today, Sunday, January 17, 2010. For starters, the weather was nice. First time I've been comfortable in t-shirt and swim trunks since mid December in Sanibel. I dressed the same yesterday doing the Hontoon Loop, and it was a tad cool. I briefly put on a windbreaker yesterday, that was too warm. Today, even with some strong wind and two brief showers, I was fine.
I launched at 8:30. Anhinga in the lagoon. Osprey and green heron along the Wekiva River.

To Rock Springs Run. Ibis, and a limpkin gets things straight.














First alligator of the day.

I paddled past and empty Otter Camp, then a not empty Indian Mound Camp. It looked like a frikkin refuge camp there were so many tents. A "meetup" group, a paddling friend had told me about. I said hello, and kept going. Downstream of Big Buck Camp, I saw deer. Four. Two pairs. Not quite sure what is going on here, and I don't want to know.

The second pair weren't so,um, friendly.















The four deer were the first, and last ones I saw while paddling.











It was after 11 when I encountered the first paddlers coming down the Run from Kings Landing. A family in two canoes. I asked how the crowd was at Kings. They said they were the first ones out. And, as it turned out, the last.














I thought I'd paddle as far as a spot called "Third Landing" up stream of Kings Landing, or until 12:30. Passing the canal leading to Kings Landing, it looked like 2 canoes were ready to launch. I figured I'd go up the Run long enough for the canoers to be long gone when I returned. I reached third landing, chatted with a couple who had found it by bike, and kept going. As I was this far, may as well go all the way. So I did, arriving at the end of the Kelly Park tube run "Second Landing" at 12:30.

No tubers or snorkelers, just a couple strolling the boardwalk. I turned around for the return trip.





Third landing.


The two canoes that were poised to go out at Kings Landing were still there. It was now 1 in the afternoon, so no more renters would be making the down Run trip. A bad day to be in the rental biz, just two boats out. Perfect day for me. One neighborhood angler fished from his own canoe.






There are about half a dozen homes near Kings Landing, just outside the State Park boundary. One undeveloped site has a hand written For Sale sign. Wonder if I can get a loan.......






I took a break at my usual spot, 30 minutes down Run from the State Park sign.


My lunch spot.


Cold chicken consumed, I continued.
















I had the Run to myself until I reached the patch of high ground on the right bank, just upstream of Indian Mound. A couple taking a break from their upstream paddle. A few minutes later, they passed me. Had to return the rental, I guess.









I saw otters twice, one then two, but was unable to get a picture. One more paddler on Rock Springs Run, a kayaker coming upstream not far from the Wekiva. That made 5 boats in almost eight hours. On a Sunday. With nice, but windy weather. Wish I could bottle this day. I counted ten canoes and kayaks on the short stretch of the Wekiva back to the State Park. I landed at 4:30, eight hours after I began.


After putting the yak on the car, I tested my new underwater case, the latch on the old one broke.

Exotic catfish and a are one thing to see in the almost empty Spring, one other snorkler, but this is even better.


My first underwater otter pictures. This one dove into the secondary vent, and came out with a catfish. We need more otters to get rid of this invasive specie. Out of the Spring, I strolled the Wet to Dry boardwalk.

I extened my walk for a few minutes on the main hiking trail, going back to the car as the sun was setting. Drove to Sand Lake, often a good deer spot, but saw none in my five minute walk around the small lake. A buck did cross the road as I drove to the Park exit.

No comments: