Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rock Springs Run


Smoke on the water. Steam rising from the Wekiva River, 7:45 am, Wedensday, January 27, 2009. Who are you. Barred owl, Rock Springs Run.
I'm out of classic rock references. Limpkin
I paddled up Rock Springs Run for an hour forty five minutes, turning back at the big pine up stream of the Big Buck Campsite. No deer today. Lots of wood ducks. I was glad to see no trees down after some strong winds Sunday and Monday. Also, unlike a lot of places in Florida, no dead fish. The warm spring water prevented the massive die off that has happen from the Gulf to the Atlantic and lakes and non spring fed rivers in between.
Turn around point. In the "open area" I often mention. Downstream, back into the "wooded area"
Birds are easier to spot in the open areas.

















Back to the Wekiva, I went down River a short way to photo these great egrets.
Wekiva wildlife.










I had the River and Run to myself. As I landed, a concession worker opened up the shack where the life jackets and paddles are stored for the first renters of the day. Another kayaker, in the parking lot, said, that looks a lot of work going down that hill. I told him going down was easy coming up was the hard part. I loaded my yak on the car, then saw him loading his yak with camping gear. Based on my experience, I told him it might be easier to make two trips down the hill, then one with a fully loaded yak. He was camping at Buffalo Tram. First time on the Wekiva. I advised him to look for the old tram posts. Hopefully he found the campsite, which is easy to paddle past inf you are on the wrong side of an island that splits the River.


I had the Spring to myself, too.

No comments: