Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Wekiva River & Blackwater Creek


Sunday, January 31, 2009, I launched from Katies Landing and paddled down the Wekiva to Blackwater Creek







I paddled downstream, into a stiff north wind. I had considered paddling upstream first, after a long day Saturday on the Loxahatche River. But, heading down river would put me on the widest part of the Wekiva. Not good in the wind. Up river is more protected, and I could visit Blackwater Creek.










The forecast called for a high in the low 60's. It never got above 50.



The cool kept the alligators hidden. Except for one. A great blue heron burst into flight, honking loudly. As it did, a medium sized gator rose out of the water, jaws snapping. Just missed.
I reached Blackwater Creek in about 90 minutes. Saw a deer, to far and fast to photo. Paddled up the creek for 30 minutes




Coming out of the Creek, I saw the only boat of the day. Two guys fishing.





































I've never got a deer photo on this section of the Wekiva. Until today










Two deer. I was able to get a better view paddling up a short side area off the main channel.



















I landed just past 2, a nice five hour paddle.







This was my second visit to Katie's Landing since it re opened after a year of "improvements". The new restroom is still locked, outside bubblers-that's water fountain to you non-Milwaukeeans- not running. The idiots need to put the old port-o-let back. The State is enforcing the new $3 entry fee. A State law enforcement officer asked about my pay ticket or pass. I pointed to the pass on the dash, and said, "But I'm worried about the air force" Pointing to a truck, kayak in the roof, Colorado, U.S. Air force, plates. No parking is allowed river side, just loading and unloading.


I left, seeing a deer as I drove towards Highway 46. I stopped, figuring there had to be more than one, as it was looking back. Sure enough three more deer leaped over the wire fence, crossed Wekiva Park Dr., then bounded over the wood fence into the yard with the bear mailbox.

No comments: