Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run

I had to give the Wekiva River billing on my usual "Rock Springs Run" paddle as that's where the red shouldered hawk was seen. Towards the end of this morning's paddle, as I returned to Wekiwa Springs State Park.
I launched just after 7:30. The track from my Monday afternoon visit was still visible as I wheeled the yak past the concession building.
Cool, windbreaker, nylon pants, shoes and socks.




There's a group of great egrets that have been hanging out at the confluence of the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run lately. Here they fly up the Run.
One landed where I could get a photo. Paddled up the Run to the big pine tree past Big Buck Camp. Ibis, hawks, belted kingfishers, wood ducks. The only pic is a red shouldered hawk, which pales in comparison to the close up I got later, so I'm not publishing it. Pics after the turnaround.














I did not see any deer this overcast morning. I was thinking of not doing my usual post paddle, pre work snorkel, going home for a shower instead. But, the clouds broke and the sun came out. I also was delayed getting some nice pics on the Wekiva between Rock Springs Run and Wekiwa Spring.





















A fellow paddler recently posted a photo of a red shouldered hawk on Rock Springs Run on Facebook. I had never noticed the yellow band on the beak before I saw that picture. Funny how that works, you don't notice something, then, its everywhere.

















The sun brought out the turtles, and alligators.















Great egrets.
Five perspectives of a great egret and an alligator






































The alligator had not yet taken its place on this log. I say "the alligator" as there are many pictures of this log with an alligator, or turtles, or both, on Dave's Yak Tales.

Anhinga (with turtle) and tri colored heron in the lagoon.






I was the only person on the water. And, in the water as I snorkeled the Spring.


I swam along the left retaining wall, as you face out of the Spring. Looking for turtles. A shape came seeming out of the wall. I got closer, long, sinuous, I thought, gar. No, otter.
I got another photo, then it went into the wall. I waited a while, it did not come out, at least not where it went in. Must be more gaps and hollow space in the wall and maybe the walkway around the Spring.

2 comments:

MaybeCatchFire said...

Thanks for posting the blog about r s r. I am planning to go myself.

Dave said...

You're welcome. There are probably 50 or more RSR Tales on this site. My favorite place.