Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Banana River

The marine forecast called for a light chop on the Intracoastal waters, winds out of the southeast, 5-10 knots. Time to head to Merritt Island, Kars Park, and the Banana River No Motor Zone. Saw a rosette spoonbill in the marsh off Halls Road as I drove in.
I paid the $5 fee and filled out the form at the gate, name, phone, driver's license, plate. As you recall, or not, Kars is an acronym. Kennedy Athletic Recreation and Social. It is the only convenient launch spot for the No Motor Zone, unless you are a Space Center worker. They can launch from the NASA Causeway, north of Kars, and my destination.

I set out from the launch site, unimproved bank with a "Canoe Launch" sign, at 8:15.












I began by paddling north, to the boat ramp and basin. Just outside the No Motor Zone, and, a good spot to see manatees. And birds in the short channel.


Two, perhaps more, manatees were in the boat basin.
Out of the basin, past egrets, reddish and snowy. Gulls, and cruise liners at Port Canaveral.





Now, I paddled north in the Banana River. A kayaker launched ahead of me, rods on board. The No Motor Zone is a popular, and productive, kayak fishing location. The NMZ, put in place to protect the largest cool water manatee concentration on the east coast, has the added benefit of protecting sea grasses in the shallow estuary. Trout and red fish abound. Lots of fish means lots of birds for me to photograph










Tri colored heron and reddish egret. The latter are somewhat rare, not in the NMZ. I saw several. Speaking of rare, I was not sure if this was an eagle.
Looking at it now, I say it is a juvenile bald eagle. If I'm wrong, let me know.














In the Banana River, not only do you view diverse wildlife without the hassle of motor boats, but being on Space Center territory, there is other interesting scenery.









Great egret, reddish egret, ibis, brown pelicans.












I wonder if this building is being demolished as part of the ending of Space Shuttle flights.
After three hours of paddling, I reached the NASA Causeway. Could not have gone farther if I wanted, the River beyond the bridge is a restricted area. I landed on a shell bar, the great blue heron left, got out, had a bite to eat.
More red birds. Spoonbills, and yet another reddish egret.













Two more spoonie shots, and a tri colored heron














Space age structures.



Seabirds put good use to an old gunnery target from the Banana River Naval Air Station




The target is more in the middle of the River. In deeper water, I thought I'd have a better chance to see dolphins. Less wading birds. Twenty minutes past the wreck, I was thinking, I'm not seeing much, and boom, a manatee swam past. One of four or five.
A short time later, two manatees. Another spoonbill.

As I took the spoonbill photo, I heard something moving the water. Another kayak? No, to far off. A dolphin, two dolphins. I turned and paddled after them, no luck getting photos. I had been on the water for a long time, so I did not give it much effort, as the dolphins were going the opposite way I was headed. Dolphins, manatees, spoonbills and an eagle. Not bad. When the day began I told myself I'd see all of those and alligators. No gators. Yet. I paddled past the launch site, to the boat basin. To look for more manatees, and alligators. I've seen gators on the bank before. Pelicans on the way in, and a gator on the bank.





I had the trifecta, manatee, dolphin and alligator. Too bad I did not get any dolphin pictures. Yet. I did not see any manatees, and began to paddle out of the basin. As a dolphin came in.









As I was manuering to take the doplhin shots, I saw two manatees. In an area of about 20 yards were two manatees, a dolphin, and allligator and me. Boy, instead of paddling for 6 hours, I could have paddled 5 minutes and just hung out in the boat basin. Nah. I don't want to be with motor boats if I can avoid them, and I can in the No Motor Zone. I pity the poor saps on the cruise ships. What can you see from eight stories up?


Last wildlife. Alligator on the side of Hall Road as I drove out.

1 comment:

The Florida Blogger said...

I'm looking to get over that way soon, to toss a little bait in the water.