Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

I began St. Patrick's Day kayaking the lakes near my house, Maitland, Minnehaha, and Nina. There actualy are closer lakes, but no public launch sites, so I made the 1.5 mile journey to Lake Maitland Park.

Into Lake Maitland at 8:40 under cool, overcast skies.



Just one boat, other than than the many docked, on the water as I paddled to the canal leading to Lake Minnehaha.












Through the canal.











Osprey in Lake Nina, a little lake on the way to Lake Minnehaha.
Mallards, wood ducks and moorhen on Lake Minnehaha.







Great blue heron, coots, wood duck, blue heron.







More birds, including a female anhinga and great egret.







Female wood duck leaves her mate, green heron rings the bell, great egret flight.









I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bird life on these suburban lakes is outstanding.






Back in the canal.













Now, two osprey in Lake Nina
On Lake Maitland, the resident pelican, a pie-billed grebe (thanks to Joanne for the ID) and more.





































There are some dead end residential canals on Lake Maitland, giving more homeowners "lakefront" property. One canal has a little pedestrian bridge that for some reason, I have a hard time finding. Somehow, I missed it again. I know its not on the other side of the Isle of Sicily bridge
























I may not have found the canal, but beautiful birds were easy to find.













These wood ducks and azaleas are just around the corner from the canal I could not find.


I might think someone blocked the canal, but I've seen pictures of the little bridge recently, so I know it is still accessible. Someday, I'll find it again. Now, it was time to leave the little bay that has to be near the canal, past nesting anhingas, past more wood ducks in Lake Maitland, landing at 11:00.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! I am considering you the bird resource, since I am floundering in this area.

I've not really looked at suburban lakes, but there are a lot of them around, aren't there.

Anonymous said...

Nice!

Dave said...

Thanks Ed, but it's not quite the Galapagos Islands.