Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rock Springs Run

Did a morning paddle from Wekiwa Springs State Park this morning, Wednesday, March 3, 2010. Just as last week, a flock of turkeys on the hill above the springs.


Into the Wekiva River at 8:15




The only alligator seen during a cool morning paddle.
On to, and up, Rock Springs Run.








I turned around at 9:30, at the post marking an old logging road down Run of Big Buck Camp














I saw one deer on the way upstream. Young buck, antlers just emerging. In the woods on the right bank. By the time I put the paddle down and picked the camera up, it was gone.










Skies remained overcast. Occasionally the sun peeked through, but only briefly. Windy, but paddling the narrow Run, I avoided the worst of it.








Back to the Wekiva, where I landed at 10:50

No one else on the water. That will soon change. It will get warm, and spring break is nigh.

Due to the cold, and lack of sun, I decided not to snorkel the springs. Instead, I went home and showered before going to work. Not as much fun.

This is my first March Tale. In February, I kayaked 14 days. Not bad for a 28 day month.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't see as much on foot as you see on the water. Never get close enough to get pics of turtles.

Dave said...

Rental canoes and kayaks are available at any Florida State Park that's on water. But I warn you, get on the water once or twice, and you'll be hooked.