Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Myakka River

I went to Myakka River State Park today, Saturday, April 24, 2010. First visit since January. Changed my usual launch from the Park Road Bridge, paddle down River to Lower Lake Myakka and back routine.


I dropped the kayak off at the launch area at the rental concession on Upper Myakka Lake, drove to the Bridge, left the car, and biked a bit over two miles back to the kayak. I was on the water at 9:15. Not bad, considering the car-bike shuttle, a stop at the ranger station for a Wilderness Permit and a 145 mile drive.

I didn't paddle for long, five minutes, then I had to portage the dam.



It's easy, mud bank, pull the yak over a stone wall, which had a kayak paddle on it as well as the anglers further out on the dam. As I paddled away from the dam, I saw three kayakers who had been at the launch when I first arrived. Paddling, and pedaling, two had Hobies with a pedal system, heading towards the dam. Short paddle, I thought. I heard one say. "Ask him" "Did you see a paddle". So it was one of the pedalers' paddle.







The Myakka River is known for having a lot of alligators, and, and a diverse bird population. Like the glossy ibis below. I think the amount of alligators and birds are related. Predator-prey.




My plan was for and easy down River paddle, into the Wilderness Area, to Lower Lake Myakka, maybe paddle for about 4 hours, then turn back. The wind change my plans. Coming hard out of the south, making the downstream paddle feel like up stream.





After the kayakers near the dam, I saw just two more. One, down stream of where power lines cross the River, the other , past the Park Road Bridge. Which is not to be confused with the State Highway Bridge, which marks the boundary of the Wilderness Preserve. http://www.myakkariver.org/Wild_Presve.pdf

30 people a day are allowed in the 7500 acre Preserve.
There were more birds than the above ibis, green and black crowned night herons to name two, but I was unable to get photos. Got to Lower Lake Myakka at 11:40. Whitecaps. Not a day to paddle across the Lake to the gator hang out at Deep Hole. I checked out a little cove to the right of where the River empties into the Lake, saw roseate spoonbills there once, nothing today. Headed back to the River, two bald eagles wheeled overhead, harassing a smaller bird, maybe an osprey. I paddled out into the Lake for a better look, but a big tree where it looked like one or both might land was to far away on a rough day.






So, I headed back. The River twists and turns, so it took awhile before the wind was at my back. I took a lunch break, at a spot others had been from the ruts similar to the one my kayak made when I landed. Also, the remains of an illegal campfire.
I can't recall seeing two hawks so close together. It has to happen, or else no chicks.





The hawk in the first hawk photo joined another to make a couple.



















Out of the Wilderness Preserve, back to Myakka River State Park, the River gets wide and straight until it reaches the Park Road Bridge. Now I could take full advantage of the wind, pushing me up the River.



I landed at 1:45, after waiting for a trio in a canoe to push off. The launch area at the bridge is narrow, room for one boat at a time. I have not been so worn out from a 4 1/2 hour paddle since I began kayaking five years ago. Had to be the wind. For some reason, its often windy when I'm on the Myakka River. As the day was young, I decided I'd go for a hike in the Wilderness Preserve. Drove out of the Park, saw a State Forest sign across 72, and drove in. That is not the trail entrance. Next road east. I walked to the north shore of Lower Myakka Lake




As I was arriving at Lower Myakka Lake, so were the canoers I had seen back at the Park Bridge. This is not a hike I would want to do in the summer, little shade on the Florida Prairie.





I walked for an hour. Saw vultures, and a swallow tail kite. Hoped for deer. That had to wait until I was back in the Park.

From the Park Road as I drove to the concession to get my bike. See the River in the background? At the concession, I walked to the dam area, not all the way, as it was crowded. That's what makes the Wilderness Preserve so special. Few people are there. I then got on the bike and pedaled to the Birdwalk.

Overlooking Upper Myakka Lake. For the first time ever, I did not climb the canopy walkway. I was pretty beat to walk up the 9o plus feet to the top of the tower. I told myself, it only 2 cars were in the parking area, I'd do it. There were a lot more than two, so I went home. After stopping at the Ranger Station to turn in my Wilderness Permit.

2 comments:

The Florida Blogger said...

I'm thinking this is going to be our next camping trip site. It seems that the parks on the West Coast of Florida are more pet friendly.

Dave said...

"parks on the West Coast of Florida are more pet friendly"

Maybe that's the reason for all the alligators. Birds, and dogs to munch on.;)