Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Winter Park Chain of Lakes

My weekly Wednesday morning paddle had me at Fort Maitland Park this morning, launching under the watchful eye of a tri colored heron at 8:30.
I decided to paddle the Winter Park portion of the chain, and so after paddling east out of the launch, headed south on Lake Maitland.

To Kraft Azalea Gardens.











Into the Venetian Canal.



























Lake Osceola.

Albin Polasek Museum and Sculpture Garden at the south end of Lake Osceola.
Just before entering the Fern Canal.

Into Lake Virginia, Rollins College on the north shore.
Shortest canal on the Chain, Genius Canal to Lake Mizel. And back.


I could hear a peacock squawking as I paddled in Lake Mizel. Did not see it as I paddled the Lake Mizel side and then the Lake Virginia side of some of the nicest property in Florida. Mansions with lake frontage and backage. Into the Fern Canal for the return trip.











Another look at Albin Polask's art.

Into the Venetian Canal.











The opening photo is coming out out the Canal into Lake Maitland.


My Mom reads this stuff, so I won't write what rhymes with duck.
Speaking of sex, the song may be "Green Eyed Lady" but its the male anhinga that gets iridescent eyes in mating mode.
I landed at 11:00 am. More folks on the water than usual for a weekday morning. A sculler, 3 kayakers, several fishing boats and some wake boarders. More trailers in the parking lot than I have seen before.

2 comments:

Zooant said...

Hi Dave,
My wife and I live near 414 and 434. The Maitland chain would be a very convenient place for us to paddle. Is there a good place for us to launch or is it all private access?

Dave said...

Launch at Fort Maitland Park, on 17-92 north of Lake Ave(I thoought I posted this last week)