Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Alexander Creek

As mentioned at the end of yesterday's Econlockhatchee Tale, http://www.davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2010/05/econlockhatchee-river.html I thought of paddling Alexander Creek today, Sunday, May 15, 2010. I did. My first visit since December 20, 2009. http://www.davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/12/deleon-springs-and-alexander-creek.html Further research in the Yak Tales archives reveal I had not snorkled the Spring since June 21, 2009
http://www.davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/06/alexander-creek.html Almost a year ago. I was overdue for a visit. I woke up early, and thought, I could try to go back to sleep, or go kayaking. The latter won. I was at the Lake County Highway 445 Bridge about 7:30. Haulover Canal has a cove I have named "Dolphin Cove" as dolphins are there maybe 75% of the time. Alexander Creek has "Bald Eagle Tree" Visible from the Bridge, across the Creek. Sure enough, an eagle perched on the tall, dead tree as I prepared to launch. Once I got in the Creek and paddled up stream, there was not one eagle.
There were two. The second flew away. To check a nest?



Alexander Springs is about a mile upstream from the Bridge. Alexander Creek is shallow, and fairly broad. The current was easy, despite the millons of gallons flowing from the first magnitude Spring. I paddled slowly, looking and listening for large animals. I saw a bear along the Creek a few years ago. Last year, a friend sent be a picture with a bear on a tree next to the "Bald Eagle Tree", which held a bald eagle. I've never seen deer while kayaking Alexander Creek. I saw one on my very first visit to the Recreation Area at the Spring, as I walked the Timucuan Nature Trail. This morning I heard something in the woods. I waited, looked, listened, but saw nothing. I'd like to think it was a bear, but lots of animals can make noise as the move through the trees. Probably just an armadillo.

>Blue heron. They start out white.

Alligator.
Three limpkins.







I arrived at the Recreation Area, landed, and was in the water at 8:45.












Folks were already in the water at this early hour. The park opens at 8, but chances are many of the early visitors were camping at one of the 66 sites in the Recreation Area.



















Is this fishing saying, "Oh !" as two turtles consider mating? I've never seen one hovering over another like this.








Perhaps I interrupted something.




I have no idea why I had not snorkeled on of the best springs in Florida for almost a year.










This is the only place from where I have an underwater alligator photo.http://www.davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2007/12/alexander-spring-gator-taletail.html











After the swim, I walked the 1.1 mile Timucuan Trail. Half boardwalk Half trail with three walkways in wet areas.










Once again, I heard what may have been a large animal, but all I was was this red bellied woodpecker.
















At 10:00 I was back on the water.

I do not think I have ever seen so many turtles underwater. Including another pair where one hovered over the other. Saw an otter, too.








Only three other boats on the Creek, two canoes and a kayak. I'm sure it got busier later in the day. Motors aren't allowed from the Spring to the Bridge. I paddled further down Creek of the Turned back in sight of an area with tall reeds, just past two islands. That's where I saw the other kayaker. I'd seen his yak at the launch. Red Necky with a rudder. He asked if he could take my picture. Sure. Why I didn't take his, I don't know. Maybe because I prefer to save space for wildlife on the memory card.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these underwater photos! The closest I've come to them is the mermaid tank at Homosassa, so yours are a treat.

That trail looks like something I'd like to take, so thanks for posting pics of it.

Anonymous said...

We stopped there yesterday on the way back from Daytona, but it was too late to get a look at the springs. We're going back soon. Glad you wrote about this!

(Also, I want to rent a boat at the South Moon fish camp in the same area.)

Dave said...

Looks like you spent to much time at the intersection of 40 and 15.

Next time you are in the area, the Barberville Pioneer Settlement seems like your type of Florianda place.