Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Canaveral National Seashore


I went to the Canaveral National Seashore after work today, Saturday, May 8, 2010. I made up for the half day on Tuesday, which let me get an afternoon paddle in on Rock Springs Run. I launched at 2 pm. The marine forecast, said "light chop". Not exactly. A steady wind was coming from the east. Mosquito Lagoon runs north-south with a southeast to northwest tilt. The kayak launch site is just north of a point. Eldora Hammock on this map.http://www.nps.gov/cana/planyourvisit/upload/CANAmap1.pdf As I launched, the wind was in my face. I decided to paddle into it, and have it behind me on the way back. As soon as I paddled by the Eldora State House, the wind was at my back. Made me realize, for the first time in 6 years of paddling Mosquito Lagoon, how prominent the point is. Makes sense that a community was once here, they could see the mail boat and other commerce coming from three directions. I saw two kayakers paddling towards me, and a few fishing boats. Pelicans diving. Then an extended wake. Not a boat. Not a pelican splash. Had to be a dolphin. Paddled towards an island where I saw the wake, and a second. Looked into two small coves where I've seen manatees, didn't see any. Caught up to the dolphins. Four. Didn't get good photos, but I'll post two anyway.





I followed the mini-pod to Castle Windy, a shell mound, then turned back. Went into the coves that manatees visit, none today. Paddled across the Lagoon to Orange Island,wanting to find the second campsite on the island. I found it. Last time I must have paddled back east through the small islands between Orange and Shipyard Islands, not going far enough to find the campsite. Found it today, and seeing no boats beached, landed. Only to leave when I saw a tent.

Other than the dolphins, a so so day for wildlife. Great blue heron above, fiddle crabs, the dark spots, below.

Great egret. Also seen were kingfishers, cormorants, ibis, vultures and osprey


I kept my bearings through the puzzle box of islands as paddlers have done for thousands of years. By focusing on Turtle Mound, the ancient trash heap. More dolphins at the Mound. No pics, but here is another marine mammal.







What, you were expecting a manatee? Didn't see any this afternoon. This palm must have looked great then these buds were open

It remained windy all afternoon. My arms are very tired from the four hour paddle.
I am trying to get a little leg exercise in every day, but was not up a bike ride in the wind. Instead, I do what millions of people come to Florida for. A walk on the beach.







No millions on this beach. Or even tens. A family of three came on the beach from parking lot 3 just as I was. Far to the south, I saw two or three more people walking. I don't know, maybe everyone wanted to see the start of the Magic game. I think the Bucks would have put up more of a fight. I walked for 30 minutes, my daily leg exercise done.

2 comments:

The Florida Blogger said...

Isn't it interesting that through our travels we sometimes get a glimpse into the past. BTW-I'm going to do my best impersonation of DYT today and make a run up Rock Springs.

Dave said...

SR, DYT is looking forward to your RSR post.