Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, May 14, 2010

Hail Atlantis

On time lift off of Space Shuttle Atlantis, 2:30 PM EDT as seen from the Mosquito Lagoon end of Haulover Canal, Friday May 14, 2010. Only two more launches are scheduled, in September and November, before the Shuttle Fleet is retired.
It had been over a year, March 15, 2009 since I last saw a shuttle launch from my kayak. I was able to modify my work schedule, leaving at noon. I'll work tomorrow morning to make up for it. Had I joined the tens of thousands watching from land, no way could I have made it in time to see the launch. http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20100514/NEWS02/100514014 By taking the roundabout way to Haulover Canal, Semoran to Aloma to 417 to I-4 to 44 to I-95 to 442 to 1 to 3 to the Canal. This route avoids traffic, and on launch day you can't travel north on 3 to the Canal anyway.http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/releases/2010/release-20100507.html

I had no traffic issues and arrived at Haulover Canal about 1:30. Cars were parked on both sides of the dirt road along the north side of the canal, Never thought I'd have to parallel park here, but I did today. It was the latest I've arrived for a successful launch. Note I wrote "successful". Last July I came in the nick of time for a launch that was scrubbed due to weather.



http://www.davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/07/haulver-canal.html Not crowded that day.

I put in from the Canal bank, not the usual spot where the road meets the Indian River. Stopped in Bairs Cove to check out the manatees.

I had the Cove to myself, and a lot of frisky manatees. A crab boat came in, and it was time to paddle east to the Mosquito Lagoon. A few photo ops on the way.







As it has been lately, the wind was blowing. I wondered how it would be out of the shelter of the Canal. A bit choppy, but I just pulled the kayak up on the rocks that mark the start of the canal. I put my PFD on a rock and waited for the launch. So, technically, I did not see the launch from my yak. I almost didn't get photos. Glad I took a test shot to see "Change battery pack". I did, and a minute later, LIFT OFF !










Atlantis' flight path, as with all shuttle launches, goes northeast. That brings the light and roar towards Haulover Canal.









I watched until it disappeared into the heavens, about 4 minutes. I entered the yak, shoved off the rocks, and paddled north in the Lagoon. Wind at my back I entered the area behind a string of islands, entering through the second channel north of the Canal. Barrier islands in front of the barrier island, Merritt Island. Move your cursor around this map to see where I paddle in and around Haulover Canal. http://www.maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=&daddr=28.770779,-80.845403&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=28.770699,-80.845543&sspn=0.001084,0.001813&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=28.733223,-80.757105&spn=0.001084,0.002693&z=19


I paddled north, killing time, waiting for the crowds to thin out.







I paddled north for about 20 minutes, then turned around, crossed to the west bank of the sheltered area, taking a break to eat an orange on an old concrete boat slip. The cement and wood skeletons of old piers line the shore. Someday, I need to find out what was here before the Feds, through NASA and the Department of the Interior, took over the land. 8 to 10 other kayakers were in the area, this is much better than being stuck in traffic after the launch. Back to the Canal, and west bound. Past the Manatee Overlook, where the same manatees I saw on the way out (at least I think they were the same) remained. I did not hang out, as a group of paddlers was just behind me. Under the bridge, across to Bairs Cove. Two kayakers here, but a lot of manatees. I stayed.





One manatee was very interested in my kayak. I kept my hands to myself.
























To bad I did not get the registration number of this criminal's boat. As you know, wild animals should not be fed or given water. I told him so, and told him he should know the law. Idiot. http://http//www.myfwc.com/WILDLIFEHABITATS/Manatee_ViewingGuide.htm



I left the crime scene, entered "Dolphin Cove" No dolphins this afternoon. More manatees. And a great blue heron.
























Into the channel south of the Canal, where I attached my spray skirt of the one mile crossing across the Indian River to Mullet Head Island. The east wind was at my back, so it was easy. I did not notice the great egret in flight as I photoed the cormorants on a sandbar.
. I did notice the rosette spoonbills on the sheltered, west side of the Island.














They are kinda hard to miss. An impressive flock. And there were more.














Figure skaters.

















Perhaps the most I've ever seen. Definitely the most on the east coast. Maybe, maybe, I've seen more at Ding Darling, on Sanibel Island.









A great blue heron gave welcome. Nearby, another reddish egret (you saw the one among the spoonbills) and a black crowned night heron.





















I sure came to this Bird Sancturay at the right time.

























Around to the windward side of the Island, where to my surprise, a flock of whitle pelicans appeared.




























I thought they would have gone north by now. Silly me. After 20 plus years in Florida I tend to forget it dosen't get warm unitl Memorial Day up north.









Paddling back to the Canal, the spray skirt came in handy. I was going against the wind. All this guy needed was his spinnaker. Or is that a jib?

Back towards the Canal, and the channel leading to "Dolphin Cove"












Once more, no dolpohins. The manatees were still there.






I landed about 5:50, 95% of the cars that had been there when I arrived, gone. A very pleasant afternoon.



As the title to this Tale was inspired by Donovan, may as well hear the song.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leI7sfmipuI&a=eQLV26UMywI&playnext_from=ML

3 comments:

The Florida Blogger said...

DYT-I was heading that way today, but just a tad south. I did some yaking on the Banana River near Satellite Beach. I think the wife and I are going to hit Haulover Canal on Sunday.

The White Orb said...

Hey Dave,

I've enjoyed reading up on your reports before I make any Kayak trips. You've become somewhat of a celebrity for me and the people I take on my trips.

I too was out at Haulover for the shuttle launch. It was my first viewing from Kayak and it was very rewarding.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

-Joel

Dave said...

A celebrity? Thanks, J.L.