Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Hontoon Island Loop

I went to Blue Spring State Park today, Saturday, May 1, 2010. First visit since February 21, 2010, with Fairbanks, not fair weather, friend, Robert J. http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2010/02/hontoon-island-loop-and-more.html

Not nearly as much wildlife as we saw in February, but, on the other hand, Blue Spring Run is open. Both for paddling, above, and swimming and diving.












I began snorkeling just after 8:30.
















This May Day was the first day the weather forecast had a 90 degree high. The crappy time of year has arrived. The forecast will be low to mid 90's from now through October. Makes me glad I quit running and started kayaking. It's always a little cooler on the water.


Especially if its spring fed, like Blue Spring Run. I got more wildlife photos, the pileated woodpecker during 10-15 minutes on the Spring Run, then in 95 minutes paddling down the St Johns River to Hontoon Island State Park. Saw a couple gators, some great egrets, but no pics until I arrived at Hontoon Island State Park.




No paddlers on the River, only power boats. Fortunately, they are supposed to keep a Slow, Minimum Wake, speed for about 2/3 of the way from Blue Spring to Hontoon Island.


Hontoon Island State Park has several slips, more like finger docks. One has a lower level. This is where you land paddle craft. Coming down the St Johns, its the last dock as you paddle past the Park. For some reason, probably ADA, two metal railings have been placed in the middle of the dock. Makes ingress and egress more difficult, if you ask me.



I stopped at the Park because I wanted to check out the camping area. Also, I'm trying to get more leg work in, as I am way to heavy. Speaking of leg work, I'm thinking of buying a mountian bike. The thought came to me during the week. It would be a good compliment to paddling, and most places I paddle have trails on site or near by. Any suggestions, or quality used bikes, ;) are appreciated. I test rode a Trek 4300 Disc, and Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc yesterday. Liked the Fisher better, which kinda disappointed me, as I would like to support Trek, a Wisconsin company. Turns out Trek owns Gary Fisher, so I'm cool. Of course, these lower end bikes-$650.00, are made in China.




Back to the story. I could ride my road Trek 1000 on the crushed stone/shell road to the campground.

It is hard to support the park van that shuttles campers from the pontoon boat landing to the campsite. I asked the pontoon pilot about putting my kayak on the boat, instead of loading it up and paddling from the mainland parking area. He said, depending on how busy and full it is, it wouldn't be a problem. Another option is to leave the kayak across the River, cross with the camping gear, then go back for the kayak. Of course, I could just paddle the fully laden kayak, but why risk rolling it when getting out on the dock? If I ever do camp here, you'll read about it here.


The campground is small, which I like. Six cabins, bunk beds, a light, a fan, no AC, bring your own sheets. 12 tent sites. A separate youth/group area, for up to 35 people. Being an island, no RVs. Not quit the solo spots I've camped at before, along the Wekiva River http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/11/wekiva-river-camping.html and Blackwater Creek,




http://davesyaktales.blogspot.com/2009/12/merry-christmas-from-blackwater-creek.html but better than some spot with 50 plus sites, RV generators buzzing.


Out of the camping area, the road is no longer hard, but a mowed path through the palmettos. This is where a mountain bike would be useful. I made my way towards the Nature Trail. Made a turn to early, the trail ended. Back to the main trail. With signs like this, even I can't have an extended adventure. ( I never admit getting lost)







I took the right fork, River to River Road, to the Hontoon Dead River.
The above photo should be vaguely familiar to regular readers. Usually you see it from the other side. The former landing area, and an easy walk to the top of the Shell Mound at the end of the Nature Trail.
Another hiker and I exchanged cameras. Unlike the unshaded "roads" the nature trail wends through a hammock. A hammock is a "shady place"
It was after 12 as I walked back, and people were on the Trail. The Park brochure says is 3 miles, out and back, on the trail. Not sure how long my route was, but with the detour, it had to be a little longer. The rocking chairs in front of the concession were welcome. To bad lunch was in the kayak. I relucltantly got up, got my sandwich and sat on a bench. Watching speed boats and power boats dock. Time for me to go.

















The Hotoon Dead River view of the former landing area, shown earlier from land.











As on the St Johns, I was the only paddler on the HDR. Only one boater violated the Slow Speed, Minimum Wake restriction on the entire Hontoon Dead River. I had asked is Snake Creek was open, and receive a negative reply. So, through the northernmost canal back to the St Johns.




The best photo op of the paddle was missed in the canal. I heard scurrying sounds, little animals. Then the peeps of baby alligators. Several on a thin branch in the canal. The last two or three going into the water as I located where the commotion was coming from. I bet there were 8-10 to start.




No wildlife pice from the St Johns. Went into the lagoon before landing. Saw a mating herd of manatees a few springs ago, so I always check it out. Nothing today. I landed, saw a guy with full canoe and a chart. Asked where he had been and where he was going. He, and six other canoers, were on a six day voyage. An Outward Bound outing.




I wheeled the yak to the car, took the bike out, put the yak on the roof, and went for a ride. With a new helmet and water bottle I bought yesterday. Next, a new odometer to replace the one that's in the Wekiva River. If I can trust the Volusia County website, the trail is 3.3 miles. Add a mile on the Park Road and I had a 8.6 mile ride. Could have added the 2 mile loop in Jay Blanchard Park, but I want to increase my mileage slowly.



This is not a "rail trail" An active line parallels the trail. I wonder if any one on the Amtrak Auto Train waved back. Seeing the osprey and gopher tortoise was nice. Even better, a deer. On the way back. I stopped, slowly walked back. Didn't see it. It was looking in the wrong place.
Not the first deer I've seen on a paved bike trail, I've seen them on the Van Fleet Trail. It may be the first photo. I may rethink this mountain bike thing. Plenty of trials and paved park roads to ride.

Health note. I was 7 pounds less this week on the Publix scale then I was last Sunday. Different store, so a different scale, and maybe a lot of it was sweat, but perhaps the walks I've been taking on my non-kayaking days are having some affect. Or maybe its I'm only drinking lite beer.

No comments: