Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

I saw more wildlife in an hour forty five minutes this morning, Wednesday, May 12, 2010, on the Maitland half of the Winter Park Chain of Lakes then I did in 2 hours 40 minutes last night on the Wild and Scenic Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run





I did not plan on kayaking, staying up late after paddling yesterday, but the yak was on the car, I didn't have to be at work until 12:30, so, as I lay in bed a bit after 8, I said, what the heck.

A steady wind blew as I launched from Fort Maitland Park at 9:00 am. The protected waters of the canal and Lake Nina were welcome. Lake Minehana was a happy medium as I made a counter clockwise paddle around the rim of the Lake.

















Green heron in the reeds and lily pads.



As usual, I was the only boat on the Lake.












I should say moving boat. Lots of docks with boats of all kinds.










The tri colored heron was at Lake Nina.




This is why anglers need to dispose their line properly.

At the start of the paddle, I told myself I wanted to get photos of 10 different animals. These mallards in Lake Maitland made 9.
The list. Tri colored heron, wood ducks, cormorant, moorhen, anhinga, limpkin, green heron, great egret, mallards. I could claim more than ten if I divide the sexes as I have pics of male and female anhingas, wood ducks, and mallards. Or a legitimate 10 if a nesting osprey did not retreat into the nest.

No comments: