Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha


I couldn't resist. With the kayak on the car, and Fort Maitland Park a mile and a half away, I got a 90 minute paddle in this morning, Wednesday, May 26, 2010.






Partly cloudy with a light breeze. I saw just two other boats, none on Lake Minnehaha.









Lots of anhingas, but first, a moorhen. I've seen this bird referred to as a "purple gallinule". It is not, the purple gallinule is more colorful. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Purple_Gallinule/id





The photo above shows why anhingas are referred to as "snakebirds"
Lake Minnehaha. A different paddle from my recent excursions on the wild Blackwater Creek






But wildlife has a home in the suburbs.


















After my usual circle of Lake Minnehaha, I was back in the canal, a brief stop in Lake Nina.


















This really will be the last post until I return from my Keys and Miami vacation. Unless I find a hot spot....... So, catch up on some older Tales if you're a new visitor. Better yet, get out on the water.

No comments: