Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lower Wekiva River

My Mother's Day paddle began at Katie's Landing on the Wekiva River a little bit after 8:00 am. I arrived just before 8, the gate was open. Which was nice as State Parks open at 8:00. As Katie's operates on the honor system, maybe the gate doesn't close. It was kept open by some heavy string tied to a post. I put my annual pass on the dash, the honor system is enforced. One other vehicle in the lot, with a camping tag. Probably a take out vehicle for folks camping at Buffalo Tram. A mallard and her chicks swam just off the launch area as I put in.
My family, circa 1960-61. Mom and the first 5 kids





I began to paddle down the Wekiva, destination, the St. Johns River, about 6 miles away. Exchanged hellos with a guy fishhing from his canoe. "Are you Dave?" Jim told me he has read the blog. (I hope it's Jim, sometimes my name recollection isn't the best). He asked if I was going to Highbanks. Highbanks Marina is about 2 miles down the St Johns from the Wekiva-St Johns confluence. I told him no, too many fast boats on the St Johns River on a Sunday. I've never been to Highbanks. It's the take out point if you are doing a one way trip down the Wekiva from Katie's. Or points up river.







I did not see anybody else until meeting some anglers at the mouth of Blackwater Creek, 4, 4 and a half miles downriver. Plenty gators, but the 10-12 I saw were just heads floating on the water. I figured on the return paddle, in the afternoon, I'd get photos of alligators sunning on logs. I did not. Rule one of wildlife photography. Take the picture. It may not be around later.
About a mile from the St Johns, the Wekiva gets wider. More motor boats in this area, but most of it is a manatee zone, so they motor slowly. Even out of the manatee zone, just one boat all day went fast on the Wekiva. Not so sure if the same would be true on Father's Day.
I arrived at the St Johns, and not having seen any manatees in the Wekiva, thought I'd paddle along the shore, away from the boat channel, to see what I could see. Boats were moving fast on the St Johns, but not to many for a Sunday. I don't think Mother's Day morning is a prime boating time. No manatees, but what is that big bird ahead?










As long as I was on the St Johns, I decided I'd paddle across the River and around an island on the east bank. I made the crossing, and was on the backside of the island, which is a Slow Speed area. When I first saw this ramp, in September 2005, I thought Highbanks wasn't much of a marina.


It's not Highbanks, its a private ramp for a gated community. It was there before the fancy homes were built. I used to get out and walk around the empty, partially paved roads of the subdivision. I haven't paddled around this island in three years or more. I think the first time there was on pier, last time three, now
I count 6 in this photo. If you're rich, "Riviera Bella" would be a nice place to live. If I were rich, I'd get rid of the pansy name and change to something honest and Floridian. Like "Cracker Cove".

The bald eagle was still on its perch. Back to the Wekiva for the upstream paddle. I hoped to be aided by a north wind, but it never came about, at least not very strong.




I took a break at a high bank, west side of the Wekiva, at the end of the Manatee Zone. Being one of the few high spots, its a popular site. Two illegal fire pits, and what appears to be a hunting blind. Also verboten in a State Park. I ate half a sandwich, filled my water bottle, and got back on the River.





















Ibis, great bkue heron, osprey, tri colored heron
More great blue.




























As mentioned, no alligators. Turtles will have to suffice for reptile pics.














I had not seen a paddler on the water since the guy who recognized me, or more likely my kayak, at the start of the day until I was almost at Wekiva Haven. Another 4 at Katie's two coming, two going, when I landed, shortly after 2 pm.







I finished the day with a walk on the nearby Sand Hill Nature Trail, a 2.2 mile walk. No wildlife today.




2 comments:

Srozga said...

clearly, all of the Mothers were with Frank Zappa that morning

Dave said...

At the best place in town.