Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Friday, June 11, 2010

Indian Key


Or, day one of the Camila-Evan wedding weekend. That would be my nephew and his bride. The wedding was in Key West. So, I got to combine kayaking and family fun. If you are thinking, didn't I read about a Key West wedding before on Dave's Yak Tales? You did. Evan's sister, Elena, last November.

If my memory is correct, I left home about 6:30 am Friday. Had to stop for gas in Florida City, where the Turnpike ends and US 1 begins. 10:30, according to the receipt. I wondered why I had to fill up after 270 miles. I normally get over 300, even with the yak on the roof. One reason, I drove all the way with the hood open. Failed to shut it after tying the yak. I got over 29o miles on my way home with the hood closed.





Next stop, a place called Smuggler's Cove for lunch. It seemed like most places to eat were on my left, Ocean side. This place is Bay side, mile marker 85.5. http://smugscove.com/index.htm



I arrived about 11:30. Sat at the bar, had a grilled yellow tail sandwich, onion rings and a couple beers. Left at 12:15, next stop, mile marker 78, Indian Key Fill. From which, one can paddle to Lignumvatie and Indian Key State Parks. I paddled to both in November. This time, in the June heat, I just went to Indian Key. 3/4 of a mile paddle.






. In November, I could not find a place to land on the ten acre island. But I know people do, and there were kayaks on shore. Either I circled 99% of Indian Key in November, or the sign was not there. Either way, I landed and explored the historic island.






















This small island was the first county seat for Dade County. It was abandoned after a Seminole raid in 1840.















After my brief tour, I got back in the yak and paddled back to Indian Key Fill. Only wildlife, cormorants.







I spent about an hour paddling to, exploring, and paddling back from Indian Key. Back on the Overseas Highway, next stop Big Pine Key and Coupon Bight. Low tide, so I did not paddle. Not to mention HOT. But, I've been on Long Beach Road four times now, and each time. I've seen Key Deer.
Then, I get to the hotel and my room is not a room

It's a suite. With a view.
Not bad for a hundred bucks a night.


To paraphrase a former South Florida resident, "How suite it is!"


After down loading a few pics and starting this Tale, the hotel has wireless, I was off to Duval Street to meet family, old and new, at Point 5.
http://www.915duval.com/




After a long search for a parking space, I arrived. I was worried when the invitation only mentioned wine. Evan knows his roots. There was beer. And very tasty appetizers. Among the best, fish balls made from dolphin caught by Evan and Arlo.

Pics of family and friends.

To bad I did not get a photo of the long haired, mustached, Evan. Who was to make quite a transformation in facial appearance. But, those pictures are in the next Tale. Day One of the wedding weekend ended early in the morning of Day Two. Not at Point 5 but at the compound Brother Pat and family and the Bennetts were at. A group had gone fishing Friday, with nephew-in-law Aaron (look up Aaron Snell for the best guided flats fishing ). Nephew Derek cooked some of the catch. Yellow tail prepared 3 different ways. Or 4, as nephew Tyler fixed his own. The ultimate insult, I told Tyler and Derek, a McDonald's flipper not trusting his brother. I got back to the suite about 2 am.

No comments: