Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oleta River State Park, Day Two

As you may know from reading my recent Key West reports, Tuesday, June 1, 2010 began with rain. Wide ranging effects of Tropical Storm Agatha, according to my NOAA weather radio. It was not raining as I started the grill. I was not the only one looking for breakfast.






The wood pecker had it better than me. Rain came again, hard, I was forced inside, grabbing a just warm hot dog bun off the grill. That, and cold steak was breakfast. Coffee never perked. I putzed around the cabin, hoping the rain would stop. It did not, but let up some. Time to kayak. A rocky landing area is few hundred yards from the cabin. I drove down the drive to a grassy area, carried the yak the last 25 yards. Car back to the cabin. There is a large fire ring and benches here. A gathering spot for groups of cabin occupants. I pushed off, paddled a minute or two and the rain came down hard again. Pulled on shore and stood under a mangrove until it let up again.

Paddled to and past the rental launch, in a narrow channel called Crazy Creek. I saw it from the other end, Biscayne Bay, Monday, but did not enter due to the Memorial Day crowd. Today, a rainy Tuesday, no one was on the water.
























Osprey
Crazy Creek empties into Biscayne Bay. The rain stopped, the Bay was almost empty. I made my way north, in search of the Oleta River.












The River is just before this bridge, NE 163rd St. It was a 45 minute paddle from the osprey in Crazy Creek to the Oleta River.












According to the map I got from the Park concession, it is 2 miles to the Blue Marlin Fish House Restaurant up the broad, slow flowing Oleta River. I did not see a lot of wild life. As I write 4 days later, I recall a juvenile black crowned night heron and ospreys. It took me about 45 minutes to get the Fish House. I paddled a bit beyond it, and the 163rd St. bridge.
I wanted to stop for lunch, but the restaurant looked closed. I stayed in the kayak, not wanting to scramble up on the dock, about a foot above my kayak. I shared the River with two power boats and one other kayak.























Great white heronThe first photo on this Tale, the buildings reflecting on Biscayne Bay, was taken from the mouth of the Oleta at 1:00.




























As I paddled back along the west side of Biscayne Bay (where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day) I saw the above great egret, osprey, and anhinga. Also saw pelicans and a great frigate bird. And rain clouds. Fortunately, there are several large picnic shelters along the shore. I waited out a shower under one of them. The rain passed, and I was back on the water. In the small bay, three dolphins were feeding. I saw one leap out of the water. I had several chances for tail shots, missed them all.

Dorsal fin. I stopped at the rental concession, having noticed on Monday they had hotdogs and empanadas. Turned out that was a weekend only thing. I inquired about the Fish House, and was told it, an outdoor venue, was closed due to weather. I got a couple mini Slim Jims and a granola bar to tide me over until I got back to the cabin. I landed at 3:10.
I think that's Cabin 10, closest to the landing area. Mine 12, is two beyond it. I had cold steak on a hotdog bun, then got on the new bike for the reason I bought it, trail riding. Oleta River State Park has 15 miles of trails. Well marked, novice, intermediate, and expert. A novice trail circles the cabins. I could have taken a short, steep, rocky, slope in front of the cabin to it, but chose the asphalt driveway instead. The cabin loop is wide and flat, very novice. I then got on some more challenging, tighter trails.
I wonder if I got off the novice trail, at one point the bumps got higher , turns sharper. This 5o year old was not quite ready for it and walked a few step parts. I saw just one other cyclists. If I was doing this on Monday, I may have got run over. I then road on some flat dirt roads and a paved path to the water. Also pedaled through water. Lots of puddles from the rain.
. Near the beach is a short trail called the "Chicanes" a series of sharp, roll ling, turns. Marked as novice, it gave me some confidence in my ability on more difficult terrain. I still have to learn the gears better to shift on the uphill sections. The ride lasted about an hour, 4 or 5 miles. Used different muscles than on the road bike.
It was now a little past 6 and I had a decision to make. I was in the Miami area to see the Brewers play the Marlins. I missed Monday's game due to holiday traffic. Had I not found Oleta River State Park, and stayed in a hotel, I probably would have gone to the game Tuesday. But, I thought, the rain has stopped, I want to check out some islands in the Bay, and instead of spending 50 bucks on parking, a ticket and a few beers, I'll have a good meal, and watch the game on TV. Now you know why the Marlins draw so few fans. Tampa Bay too. Floridians would rather be out on the water than in a football stadium to watch a baseball game. I was in the kayak at 5:50.I had a feeling some of the sailboats moored behind the cabins were "live aboards". That was confirmed the next morning when there were people showering in the bath house. No other cabin was occupied, at least there were no cars besides mine and the campground host's.




Back to the paddle. Into Biscayne Bay, looking into the Haulover Inlet, letting the Atlantic in.





Miami.





Sandspur Island. I'd paint the trash barrels green, to blend in. After circling the island, and checking out nearby, smaller, one I landed. But not before a jet skier speed by, close to the shore, landed, dove in, than took off. I would think a guy who is going to swim would think twice before speeding through a shallow, swimming area. Gasoline fumes must affect the brain. I snorkeled for a few minutes. Saw a puffer fish and small snapper.

I'm lazy, I floated with the current, then walked back along the beach.

Another early evening kayaker.
Sunset from the cabin.

Kayak, car, cabin and bike. I had dinner at Miller's Ale House, across 163rd St from the Park entrance. Not to be confused with the brew pub on the Milwaukee River. This is a Florida chain. They do not brew their own beer. Saw the last few innings of the Brewers losing to the Marlins.

No comments: