Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rock Springs Run

I went to Wekiwa Springs State Park today, Sunday, June 6, 2010. I had not been here since May 11. A long time for my favorite place. Even the ranger, when I showed my pass, said, "haven't seen you for a while" I was in the Wekiva River at 8:50.






























Just past the confluence of the Wekiva and Rock Springs Run I saw something I had to check out. A sign, which had been missing for over a year has been replaced. I think the old one read, "Please No Motorboats Beyond This Point". The replacement, which I, and others, have been requesting, is direct.

I paddled up the Run for an hour fifty minutes. Saw some wood ducks, a swallow tail kite, and ibis. Saw the first people at Indian Mound Camp, the first down stream paddler at Big Buck. He told me he saw a couple deer. The next canoers said a bear forded the Run in front of them. I saw neither deer nor bear on the way up the Run.





I did see a deer after I turned around. The turn around point was the above photo.




























Once I got to Otter Camp, I saw more people than usual paddling up Rock Springs Run. Must be Yak Tales readers.

The Wekiva, of course, was busy on a warm Sunday. The wildlife is used to it




















I landed at 12:30. Carted the yak past a very busy rental concession "I'm out of singles, and doubles", up the hill to the car. Got the yak on the roof and drove to the Sand Lake parking area to ride the bike trail. I read some reviews. Not very complimentary. The reviews were correct. About half of the bike trail is shared with a horse trail. Loose, fine sand. No good for biking. On the side of the trail , a narrow track through the grass, made by prior bikers, I assume. Slow going
Part of the bike trail shares the hiking trail. That is a good part of the ride. Goes past a big sink hole.










It began to rain, drops on the camera lens. Thunder, but it did not come down to hard. But, it must have rained the last day or two, as I came to a very wet section of the trail


I had to walk through the mud and water, got on the bike, rode, walked, rode, fell, and then noticed there were no red blazes, only white. A "blaze" is a rectangular mark on a tree to mark the trail. The bike trail is red, hiking white. I spent more time in the mud than I should have. Speaking of time, the 8 mile ride/walk took and hour forty minutes. The toughest 8 miles I've ever ridden. Don't think I'll do it again. But, I did see three deer. And a butterfly
Maybe in the fall, when the trail is drier.....


Despite the crowd, a dip in the Spring was just what the doctor ordered for my hot, sweaty, muddy body.

No comments: