Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Rock Springs Run

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 I worked 9 to 1, then headed to Wekiwa Springs State Park. It was hot. A record 98 at the airport, after a tying 99 on Monday. Cooler in nearby Apopka, 94 at 2 PM according to Weather.com, about the time I put in. Heat and the end of school made for a substantial weekday crowd. But, once I got past the sandbar, a short paddle up Rock Springs Run, I had it to myself.































Not surprisingly on a hot Florida afternoon there was a thunderstorm. Lots of rain, wind, thunder and lightning. From the looks of the Park when I returned, the worst of it was behind me. Lots of downed palm fronds and small branches on the hill above the Springs and in the parking lot.
























The above pic is where I turned back, 4:15, perhaps 30 minutes up Run of Big Buck.










Luxuriant summer growth makes spotting deer difficult. Unless you know what to look for. Like a bush moving after the wind from the thunderstorm stopped. I stopped and saw two deer feeding. One is in this photo

They were near Big Buck, Run right.
Saw two more deer in the lower open section of the Run. Its been a while since I've seen deer in both of the open sections the same day. One was smaller, perhaps a fawn, so I only was able to get an image of the larger one as they bounded through the marsh. The storm cooled things considerably. It was in the low 80's as I paddled downstream.






Lots of hydrilla in the lagoon. I expect to see a sign of summer. Protective yellow booms after the area is treated with herbicide. Of course, booms may be in short supply.







I landed at 6:50. The storm, or maybe dinner time, cleared the Park. Just one family to share the Springs.






This next pic is a winter scene. Steam rising off the lagoon, the water warmer than the air. But this is summer. It was so hot that the lagoon, despite being spring fed, got very warm, and after the storm lowered the air temp to 79, the water was warmer than the air, thus, steam.
As I drove away from the Park, on Wekiva Springs Road, I saw a deer. The first I've ever seen from the road outside the Park. Considering how often I'm there, its amazing this was the first time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to be amazed by Florida's color palette. It is beyond adequate description.

What do you do about lightning when you are out on a run?

Dave said...

Pray