Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

Kayaked for two hours this morning, Thursday, October 29, 2010.  I need to report bad news. The Jetson House has been torn down.  There was a space age looking house on the point at the end of the bay on the west edge of Lake Maitland.  Doesn't the City of Maitland have any standards?  I should have known something was up when the big alligator statue disappeared a few months ago.u



The usual birds on the way to the canal. Green heron, ibis, great egret.






Female anhinga


Passed through Lake Nina, where a guy fished, back to the canal, under the covered bridge, shown in the opening photo, to Lake Minnehaha.








Did a counter clockwise circuit around the lake.



Just the birds and I.


 Left Minnehaha, spent a little time in tiny Lake Nina, where the angler still sought fish, and returned to Lake Maitland.










Paddled to, and around, Dog Island.


I saw wood dicks, but was unable to get any photos before the flew away. These mallards were more cooperative.
No otters today. A relaxing, two hour paddle.



Congratulations to freejazzcat, aka Whitehead, the first person I actually know to become a "Follower" Helps to put the link on the site. To those of you who became Followers before, I appreciate your effort in going behind the curtain and showing your interest. I have three new Followers since I put the link on.  Thanks you all.

No comments: