Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Nina, and Minnehaha

I did what has become the usual Wednesday morning paddle this morning.  One of  these days I'll get up early enough to get to Wekiwa Springs State Park before work. Have to beat this cold first.  Last Wednesday I wrote I was just getting the scratchy throat.  Since then, its been a new symptom a day.  Stuffy and sneezing, that cleared up. Next few days, hacking cough. This morning, I thought the worst of it was behind me.  But, I got to work and lost my voice.  Not good when I need to be on the phone.  But, enough about work.  Back to play.  Slept late, as I am sick, thought I should cut the lawn that requires standing, and again, work.  So, off  to Fort Maitland Park for a quick paddle.



On Lake Maitland at 9:20.
 Through the canal and into Lake Minnehaha.


 I see the red spots on the roof, and think, is that all bird poop?
 Seems like I have fewer bird pics between covered bridge photos this week.



The birds on Lake Maitland, from the canal back to the launch, made up for the few on Lakes Minnehaha and Nina.




Landed at 10:50.  I saw nobody on the water. There was one trailer in the parking lot.  I am taking Friday off.  Unsure of where I'll go.  Probably Cedar Key, but I don't like the forecast.
FRIDAY
SOUTH WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.
FRIDAY NIGHT
SOUTH WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

SATURDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
NORTH WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SUNDAY
NORTH WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

15 knots is 17 mph.  So, I'll have to paddle the Waccassia and Wekiva on the way in, paddle the area around Shell Mound on Saturday, and the open water Sunday.  Or maybe I'll head to the Ichetucknee and Santa Fe, or.....

No comments: