Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lakes Maitland, Nina and Minnehaha

Got a two hour paddle in this morning, Wednesday, July 27, 2011.  Launched from Fort Maitland Park at 9 am.
The red bimini almost turns the ibis into a rosette spoonbill.

This osprey nest is near a home that has had ongoing renovations for months.  I think the renovations are done. The Metro is gone.  That's up North talk for a Port-O-Let.

This could be the mate of the osprey in the nest. I paddled around a point for a better view.
Maybe not the mate. I think the mate would have shared the fish.
More fish eaters.



Otter on the last dock before the canal to Lake Nina and Minnehaha. Rather, under, on a boat lift.  A second, bigger one, on the dock.



Into the canal.

And Lake Nina.  Female wood ducks.



I think the last one could be a young male-starting to get markings on its head.  Back in the canal.

On to Lake Minnehaha.





Grooming great egret.




Lake Minnehaha, "Lake of many birds"



And otters.


I could not get the fourth otter in the photo.




No boats on on Minnehaha.





I'm very fortunate to have these lakes 5 minutes from home.



Red shouldered hawk overlooking the canal.


Green heron on Lake Nina.
Back to Lake Maitland.





I had to end my excursion at 11.  Work beckoned. Drat.

5 comments:

Luis said...

OK. Sold!!! I do really have to take wifey to this place. She will have her day made just with the otters. Now, if I can only take a day off in the middle of the week...These lakes may not be that enjoyable during weekends due to the boat traffic. Is that correct?

Dave said...

Correct. But I bet if you began early on a Friday, it would not be too bad. I paddled once on a Sunday- and it wasn't too bad-- that's along story, involving my car in the shop and walking to Fort Maitland balancing the kayak on my bike

Luis said...

How much do they charge at Fort Maitland?

Dave said...

$0. I emailed you the long story mentioned above.

Luis said...

Just finished reading the tale. I can only imagine how fun it was to balance your yak on the bike. Talk about resilience. Excellent description of your trip that day. In my opinion, and I am guilty as charged, this is a very underestimated paddle place. From your pics it looks as a beautiful place to be. Once again...Thanks for sharing.