Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lake Katherine, Day One

Nothing says, "Up North" like father and son fishing off the dock.  My brother-in-law Larry, and nephew Aidan. 7:50 pm, just after my sister Monica and I arrived at the lakefront home on Lake Katherine, in Hazelhurst, Wisconsin. The same place we were at two summers ago. I was eager to arrive, knowing when I saw Lake Michigan, I was getting close.
My sister Monica picked me up at Mitchell Field. She had come in on Monday for our Uncle's funeral. I wanted to be there, but was a bad time to ask for another day off at work.  Besides, I did not think he would be lacking mourners.  I was correct. All reports are, Gesu Church, next to Marquette University Law School, was packed.

So, Monica picked me up, and we were on our way.  Stopping in Weyauwega, Wisconsin, for gas.


As mentioned above, we arrived before 8.  Still enough light for a quick paddle.  Larry had already had a canoe and kayak delivered from a shop in nearby Minocqua.  I had been thinking of renting to kayaks and a stand up paddle board from the same place.  Great minds think alike.  I did get one kayak and one SUP to round out the fleet.

The kayak was an Emotion Comet


The pedal boat came with the unit, and proved a fine fishing platform for Aidan and his cousin, Jack.




Good thing Uncle Dave was there to get the lure out.  And ask the guys if they knew what the life jacket requirements were for 9 and 13 year olds.
 I can't blame them.  Vacation delayed a few days for their great Uncle's funeral, they were eager to get on the water.

Loons, a symbol of the North Woods. As are Supper Clubs.
When I saw "Supper Club" beer at the gas station on the other side of US 51, I could not resist.
I was able to get the sound of loons an video.  The first sound, the first sound !

My sister and niece, in the canoe.  And so ends day one.  No Internet at the beautiful log home. It may take a while for me to post the photos and describe what happened the last few days, so stay tuned.

No comments: