Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Wekiva River and Rock Springs Run

Got a paddle in this morning.  Launched from Wekiwa Springs State Park at 8:00 am.
Saw an otter on the way to Rock Springs Run, no photo.
Only animal photo on the Wekiva is the above blue heron. 
That's a juvenile blue, for those of you discovering Dave's Yak Tales for the first time.  On to Rock Springs Run.



Not for long.  This tree is on 5 minutes or so up Run from the first open area.  Looks like an easy portage, but I didn't have time, so I turned back. Just before 9.

Return the Wekiva at 9:40.
Where, I paddled down River.



It had been a while since I paddled down the Wekiva from the confluence with Rock Springs Run.  That's why the title has both waterways.
I went past Wekiva Island, saw another otter.  Turned back at 10.

Don't worry, this is not on the main channel, but a side channel I explored.


 The Wekiva, from the launch at the State Park to Rock Springs Run, had several red ribbons tied to trees and bushes on the banks.  I took a close look at one "Turtle Research"   

I saw the boat, and thought, hey, that's illegal.  But it was part of the research project.  Accompanied by several canoes and snorkelers looking for turtles.


The boardwalk is being refurbished.  And here is a new feature at Wekiwa Spring.

I'll be able to snorkel when my legs are gone.

I forgot one detail from the morning. After landing, I took the cart out of the rear hatch.  One wheel had come off. No problem, just put it on the axle, and place the cotter  in to hold it.  Only the cotter pin wasn't in the hold.  Nor on the beach.  I asked the concession worker if he saw it. Nope.  So, I had to wheel the yak up the hill with a lose wheel.  Only fell off twice.  I'm thinking of this now, because I picked up three cotter pins on the way home. .96 at Miller's Hardware. So, I'm prepared if I lose one, or two.

5 comments:

Luis said...

Dave, Have you noticed a decline on the wildlife on the Wekiva Springs lagoon or it is my imagination? I remember when started kayaking a little more than a year ago that area of the lagoon was rich in wildlife. During my most recent trips there did not see that, and even when there is always something, it is not as abundant as it used to be.

Dave said...

Luis, I think the wildlife has just moved. The tri colored herons and other waders used the yellow booms as a perch- where they could ambush the fish under the hydryliia and algae. As the hydrilla, algae, and booms are gone, for now, the birds left.
That's my theroy.

Bob W said...

native its been many years since been there, I need advice on group of us putting in to run from rock springs to wekiva marina please advise email bob@bobsballoons.com

Bob W said...

just getting a group of friends Kayaking most of us balloon pilots need advise on wekiva

Dave said...

Bob, sent you an email.
Here's what it said, for other intersted readers:
No launcing at Rock Springs (Kelly Park) The launch for a down Run paddle is at:

http://www.kingslandingfl.com/

I've never launched there, I just launch at Wekiwa Springs State Park and paddle up the Run.

The Wekiva Marina is now called Wekiva Island. I've heard it is a zoo on weekends. I avoid it, preferring to get drunk and stupid in the privacy of my own home.