Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Wekiva River, Katies Landing

Back in February, I bought a second kayak. For two reasons.  A shorter, easier turning model for narrow waterways, like Rock Springs Run, and to have for friends and family.  So far, two friends have made the jump from kayaker borrower to kayak owner, after kayaking several times with me.  Maybe they didn't like my kayak. Hee hee.  John H. bought one this spring, and Stephanie H.  is now the proud owner of a used Pungo 120.  Steph wanted someone to accompany her on the maiden voyage.  Did not take much to twist my arm.  I saw a deer in the woods off Wekiva Park Road as I drove in.

We put in at Katie's Landing at 8:50 and headed down the Wekiva River.
 Great blue heron.  The first of many.
 Young sand hill crane.
 Adult sand hill crane,  Has to be the same family I saw on Sunday.  Then, they were on the other, east bank,  today, on the side where the nest was in the spring.
Great egret.
Vulture. I thought it was an anhinga when I took the picture. Or is it a turkey?   Nah, these are turkeys.




Pileated woodpecker.




Manatee, mother and child, in the cove at Wekva Haven Fish Camp.  A gentleman on shore with his kids said they, and a couple more had been in the area the last three weeks. I was glad to get better pics than on Sunday.
Turtle

Steph, Pungo 120

 Alligator
Ibis



We saw an otter, I was unable to get a pic.

 Low flying great blue heron.
 We passed the mouth of Blackwater Creek, and I thought a good spot to turn back would be the island a bit down River.  As we approached, I said, "This is a good spot for alligators"
And there one was.  I'm glad we went on the left side, to see this.


We began the up River paddle at 11:20.


 Dragonfly
Blue heron (juvenile)


Can't recall if I've seen two wide mouth open gators before. 


We saw nobody on the way down River, a couple had launched a jon boat when I arrived at Katie's Landing.   On the way back,  a motor boat and canoe with a motor, coming up River.  They stopped at the high spot.   I was thinking of taking a break there, but kept going.  I don't understand why motor boats have to stop.   Later, a pontoon boat headed up River.



Saw one more boat, two guys fishing at the other end of the island down River from Katie's Landing.  Which now has a sign.  May mean more people will find it.
 Landed at 2:00.   Loaded both kayaks on my car. Steph asked if I could keep it in my garage until she gets a roof rack and a thing to hang it in her car port.     Not to mention, her kayak wobbled like a Weeble on foam blocks as she drove in on the stone paved road to the launch in the morning.  By afternoon, it was windy, and rain was imminent.    I have no problem with another toy in the garage.  Of course, transport and storage means I get to use the kayak.
Here are the good photos, courtesy of, Stephanie.




 From the upcoming cofee table book.  "There's A Fungus Among Us, And I'm Lichen It"   Wish I could take credit for coming up with that line.


5 comments:

Luis said...

Sometimes I feel guilty of having such a great place to kayak so close from home. Almost went there today with Mary.

Dave said...

On the other hand, Luis, I did not see a bald eagle, like you did on the Econ. Bottom line, there are a lot of great places to paddle nearby.

Octohawk said...

Is her camera waterproof? If so, what model is it? Those photos are fantastic and I'm in the market for a new one.

Dave said...

Octohawk, I don't know what camera my friend uses. I'll try to find out.

Dave said...

My kayaking kompanion's camera answer.

I switch it up between the little Sony Cybershot 6.0 and the used and abused Fujifilm FinePix s5100 my brother gave me when he got a new camera recently. However the later is not only used, but broken, and all its metallic parts are rusty from being dropped in the water by the previous owner, as well as myself on a paddle trip:) as you know... an ON-SHORE incident of course (which I find hilarious since you've mentioned the fact that you've tipped on shore as well). I guess I should just be glad that it didn't fall into alligator-infested waters to an irretrievable depth. But yeah, I agree, pretty good photos for the abused apparatus that it is...


I’m looking for a good camera too. One for really great pics, but I’m not sure that’s possible to get in waterproof form – for less than thousands anyway.