Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cedar Key, Labor Day Weekend, 2011, Day 2


The log book was right. Sunrise is a site to see from unit 6B


I began snapping pics at 6:48 am





That’s Dog Island in the foreground of some of the shots.



And beyond, mainland Florida.




A very windy morning. Lucky for me, I could launch into the protected waters of the channel and paddle the bays and bayous inside Cedar Key.


In the water at 8:40. First photo is looking out towards the Gulf, second, looking into the “Number 2 Channel” Named as it goes to the Number 2 bridge. At least thats my guess

Paddled into the mangroves near Nature’s Landing. Looking for black crowned night herons.

Didn’t see any.



Past the side channel leading to Nature’s Landing, the No. 2 Channel splits. One prong goes past a row of clam boats and clam processing equipment, the other waves through a series of mangrove islands. I took the later. They join at the Number 2 bridge.




I paddled to, and past, Cemetery Point.




Towards the Number 3 bridge. First, checking out a broad, shallow, island dotted expanse.


Did not go far past the bridge. I had to paddle into the wind on the return, and there was a 60% chance of rain. It did rain, a few sprinkles as I sat on the balcony and composed the early part of this Tale. Better than being on the other side of the Gulf with Tropical Storm Lee.

This is a very important photo. I wondered if this location had a place to launch a yak, not just a dock. I’ll post a photo of the rental home later.



Abandoned boats make fine perches.
As do posts

But only for so long.



Approaching the Number 2 bridge

Saw two or three rosette spoonbills fly overhead. Where were they coming from? Where they were going did not matter, as it was in the other direction.



The answer, perhaps, was right across from the Nature’s Landing dock, just up the Number 2 channel from my base. But first, I had a “what was that?” moment. A sea turtle. Just saw the head. Small, as sea turtles go. I’m guessing a Kemp’s Ridley, as I saw several of those Memorial Day Weekend



Took the camera out of the water tight case to use the “Super Vivid” setting.





I switched back and forth, as I tried to avoid being pushed onto an oyster bar myself.


 
Not successful. Got stuck for a moment. Or several before I was able to push off. Gotta love hard plastic yaks.


Took a peak at the Gulf, and landed.



After a steak sandwich and composing more of Saturday’s Tale, I went for a stroll.


This building, The Seabreeze Restaurant, had been closed. Signs on the door indicated they just reopened, with a limited menu. Today was the first day they could serve beer. I didn’t see Leinenkugel’s October Fest, so I didn’t go in. My view is better, too.

The view from the fishing dock



And from the inner boat basin.

From the entertainment district to the business district.



I love these old buildings. Lots of character.
Cedar Key is a working, fishing, town.

Nice on a hot day
Well, they are jackasses


Detail. The interior of the wall is tabby-shells.









The buildings may be 19th and early 20th Century, but the sidewalk and streets are new. Result of  a sewer project, thus, streets were torn apart and redone.
Downtown is 3 blocks from the Gulf and Dock Street, a block from the the back water way.


Back to town


Not sure which sign I like better. This, or “Frozen Kayaks”

Even vacant lots in Cedar Key have character.

The office for the condos are in this building.

The site where the condos are was the site of the Fenimore Steam Saw and Planning Co., Later, a fish packing operation.  I suppose this is from those days.  Then, the Donax Whisk Co.   The office was closed, so I could not ask about the funky smelling water. I’ve figured out its the hot water that’s the problem, cold is fine. But on shared faucets, like the kitchen sink, it comes out smelling organic, and not in a good way. Good thing I’m not crabby.


A nice hour’s walk.

I sat on the balcony waiting for the tide to come in.

There are two sand/oyster bars at the entrance to the channel. When one went under, the other almost so, I carried the yak back to the water. A few yards longer, and mucker, than the morning launch. Fishing dock full as I began paddling at 4.



Tri colored heron swallows a fish.

Aquaculture

Wonder if the birds feed on left over clams.






This is the same boat that had pulled a crab trap in from in front of the condo. I was a bit suspicious, as its not the typical crab boat.

But, after passing through the Number 2 bridge, they pulled up more traps, in sight of other crab and clam vessels. His main boat must be in the shop.



Unlike the morning paddle, I turned back before the Number 3 bridge. Although the destination was the same, I arrived by a different route.


This is the house I mentioned during the morning paddle. The place I wanted to be sure you could launch a kayak. I think it goes for 170 a night. If two, three people shared it....



A spoonbill was back on the shell bar across from the Nature’s Landing dock.
Now in super vivid


One in the distance
Joined by two more.
I took a peak at the Gulf, thinking of landing on that side.



Would have been a crash landing. Landed in the calm channel at 5:40.

Wentt for a sunset walk after a brat and ear of corn in the condo. Did not see it. Saw some impressive lighting, no rain.

1 comment:

Sinclair Cindy said...

Love your photos and story. The Night Herons are behind buildings 9 and 10 at Fenimore - we see them off our balcony. - Cindy