Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Good-bye Cedar Key, Labor Day Tuesday

No sunrise this morning, National Kayaking Day, Tuesday September 6, 2011. The second annual, I declared the first last year.


7:08 obscured by clouds. But, no wind, the Gulf was flat. I lay down for a while, thought, why? and launched into the Gulf at 7:52. I counted the steps as I carried the kayak to water’s edge. 50

For the first time since my arrival Saturday afternoon, I launched on the Gulf side. The forecast was for choppy waters, but at 7:50 in the morning the surface was glassy. With rain threatening, I paddled east close to shore, and then into the small islands just off Way Key. Cedar Key, the town is on Way Key which is part of the Cedar Keys. Here's a Map






 Refuge marker on Scale Key.

 The sailboat was here last year. The mast was still intact at that time.




Back in the open water.


Pickled Pelican from the water.
One last look at the channel.


And my lodgings, white chairs, first level.
Last views from the balcony, just before checking out at 11:00.

As I turned in the keys, I told the woman in the office about the stinky hot water.  She said to get rid of it you need to run the dishwasher, may have said washing machine too, can't recall as I write 4 days later, to flush the system.  Now I know for next time.  I also know I could have left the car under the covered parking, and gone kayaking.  Or, "use the pool and hot tub" after checking out.  But, it was raining, so I left.

Would have been nice to paddle one last time in the waters of Cedar Key.  Other than from the balcony upon my arrival, I had not seen any dolphins.   But, they had been busy

  I would make a decision when I reached State Highway 19.  North, to Manatee Springs State Park and the Suwannee River, or south, to the Wacasassa boat ramp and the Waccasassa and Wekiva Rivers. 

Still raining when I got to 19, I turned left, south. Would rather be on a narrow river and not the broad Suwannee in the rain.  As I unloaded, poncho on, a young man walked over and asked if I would partake in a survey for a government agency.  What agency? NOAA.   Questions about the BP oil spill and if it affected where I went to kayak.  I told him no, and it amazes me how stupid people are.   Gulf front properties 100's of miles from the spill, Sanibel, for instance, have to put, "Oil Free Beaches" banners on their websites.  Look at a map, dumba$$.   I asked how many people he talked to, this rainy Tuesday after Labor Day.  "Two". I pointed to a pickup with a trailer. "That guy ?"  "Yes, a commercial fisherman"

I tossed the poncho in the car, and launched into a light rain at 12:15.   Headed up the Wacasassa.  The rain stopped, and just before the Wacasassa/Wekiva confluence, the rain stopped.

And, I saw a manatee.
Only saw one.  Maybe I'd see more where I saw them Saturday, on the Wekiva.

 Confluence, Wacasassa left, Wekiva, right.





I paddled past the area where I saw several manatees Saturday.  None today.  Turned back after a hour's up River trip.




Limestone on the bank.






Returned to the launch at 2.  Kept going down the Wacasassa.  Figured it would be an uncrowded day to explore the river.



Just one boater.



I turned back at 3.  Not much wild life, or maybe no one was home.
I landed at 3:54.

I put my address into the GPS.  It showed a different route from the one I usually take.   Adventurous soul that I am, I took it.  Like it. Through the Goethe State Forest, then through Dunellon.  Where I stopped at a newly paved launch site on the Rainbow River.


Paved parking, I should say.  At the bridge at County Road 484.  The tube take out.  I use it to launch the rack in cooler weather.  Had a thought of going for a short paddle, but my arms had other ideas after four days on the water

No comments: