Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sanibel Sunday

My room.
Not the lighthouse, below.


One room with coffe maker, microwave and little fridge.  I put a Hot Pocket in the microwave and brewed a cup of coffee.  One of those small serivngs was included.  I also had my own, just in case.  Also had a bagel from home, but with no toaster, I packed it and brought it home.  I had a thought, why not bring my own toaster, or better yet, toaster oven?  If I stay here again, I'll do that.  Check out was 10 am, I was on the water off Wildlife Drive in the Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge at 9:45.  No roseatte spoonbills on the drive to the launch site, not even at my secret spoonbill spot

 A short paddle through the mangroves leds to an open area.  I call it a "lake"

 Through a gap, into Pine Island Sound.   In the channel, a small shark darted in the seagrass.
I was only in the Sound a minute or two, too windy and wavy.  As I headed back into the "lake" so did a dolphin.

I paddled back to the launch site, and passed it, paddling alongside Wildlife Drive.  Which is shielded from the water by mangroves, except in areas where they are cut away so people on the road can see the birds and other wildlife.   Of course in a kayak, the view is much better.

Belted kingfisher pair.  Or maybe rivals.  The second one chased the first off the perch. Checked out the spoonbill spot, which I have divulged in prior Sanibel Tales, still none there.




Last August, I found spoonbills in a series of islands in the open waters across from the observation tower. On my last visit in June, I did not attemot to yak the area.  In Decsmber, the water was too low to explore the area.  Today, I made it to the islands.  Still no spoonbills.



I finaly saw a spoonbill, in flight over the water.  Only the second of the weekend.  The first was feeding in the flats when I entered the Causeway, Saturday.   Only two I saw.  Which is rare for Sanibel.  I usually see many more.


 Paddled into another narrow area, along the Drive. In the past, I've pulled myslef over and through the mangroves, until it got impenetreble.  Today, I turned back at the first obstacle.



Paddled past the tower, back along Wildlife Drive.
 Grooming night heron

Don't know what these birds are.

New feature at the water control structures.
Used to be, the way was clear.  I wonder if people were paddling under the Drive, to where they aren't supposed to be.  I let the flow push me out of the channel along  Wildlife Drive, into another open, lake like, area.

I've seen white pelicans in this area before.  Not this time.  They've been back in the Haulover Canal area for a month. Across the state, and 120 miles or so north.


I exited through a gap into the Sound.

Then back into the first "lake" I visted in the morning, the one with the dolphin, back to the launch site.

Landed at 12:45.  I saw just 4 other paddlers.  One guy launched near the observation tower, not at the designated launch spot.  Not sure if that is allowed.  I figured it was either his first time in the Refuge, or he's done it before.  Leaning towards first time.  A more experienced kayaker wouldn't get stuck and have to get out and walk.

I loaded the yak, and went to the Lazy Flamingo for lunch and the Packer game.   Much to my chargin, it was not on any of the many TVs.  Dumb me. Should have gone to the Sanibel Grill, home of the Sanibel Packer Backers.  Where the game, with sound, was on the most prominent TV.  I sat down, the Pack down 13-0.  I downed a cup of gumbo.
And oyster po'boy
I wasn;t expecting the mini bins, but sliders are also on the Sunday football menu, so I guess they make use of  the litte buns.  Tasty.  As was the Pack scoring to cut the lead to 13-7 at halftime.   I did not stay for the second half.  I needed to get lighthouse photos.


If the osprey pair in the title photo of this Tale decide to build a nest, it could be a hazard to navigation. I walked out on the fishing pier.




Lighthouse from the pier.

A reminder of the cold snap 2 years ago.
I walked the beach, then up a boardwalk to the Shell Island Beach Club II.  Two years ago there were a pair of bald eagles in a tree outside the door of brother Pat's time share.  The downstairs tenants said they are there every year.  That is December, they were not there today.  Back to the beach, took a photo of the Shell Island Beach Club condos.




Look at the next photo.  See how the sand is higher on the left and right.  Classic rip current.
When the tide is in.
Flowers on the boardwalk leading to the parking lot.

I left a little after 3:30.  Three months until the annual visit with brother Pat, Eileen and a cast of thousands. Well tens, with all the friends and family.  We'll see if I can hold out that long.  This first Sat-Sun only visit worked out pretty well.

No comments: