Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Wekiva River and Blackwater Creek

As I did on Friday, I kayaked the Wekiva River after work today, Saturday, September 24, 2011. A different section of the Wekiva.  Instead of launching at Wekiwa Springs State Park and going down the Wekiva to Rock Springs Run,  I launched at Katies Landing, and paddled down the Wekiva to Blackwater Creek,  There's about 12 miles between the launch sites.
The sand hill crane I've watched grow over the summer was at the launch with both parents.  When I took the above photo, one parent was gone.  The youngster is on the right.  Does not have the bright red head.



Launched at 12:50. A couple had just landed. With a motor. I said, "Wonder what the fine is for having a motor?" Blank look. "They aren't allowed" "Oh" Another example of a fine Florida education. The sign is obvious on the road to the launch.






I paused at Wekiva Haven to see if any manatees were there.  None surfaced.



Almost had the River to myself.  A guy fishing with his kids was the first boat I saw.




A bit later, just before Blackwater Creek a flotilla of boats at what is becoming a redneck Riviera.  How do I know they're rednecks?  Busch.

Entering Blackwater Creek.


Went past my usual turn around spot, below.




The same great blue heron kept posing.

 Large alligators, and there were many, did not pose.  More like leapin lizards! as they, well one, hurled themselves into the water on my approach.  Others slithered off the bank.
Back to the Wekiva, after an hour forty minutes on Blackwater Creek.


So many great blue heron photos, here's a different perspective
Never thought about birds having nails before.






Manatee in the Wekiva Haven cove.



Good to see the family back together.
I did not land, but checked out the area across from the launch, figuring at 6:30 PM, I'd see a bird or two.




I figured right.


Landed at 6:45.  On shore, a guy was loading his kayak.  I recognized the car, which was there when I launched. "Looks like you had a long fun day"  "Paddled to the Marina"  He then said he sometimes paddles all the way to Kings Landing from Katies.    Wow.  That's a long way.
Sunset over the Wekiva.   No rain until a couple hours after sunset.
Deer as I drove on Wekiva Park Road.

2 comments:

Luis said...

You can never go wrong when you paddle the Wekiva River!!!!

Stephanie said...

I thought Busch was supposed to make them "head for the mountains" - not for the river... Those clever rednecks, must have figured out there aren't any mountains in Florida :)