Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Blackwater Creek, Wekiva River

Note to self.  Do not purchase a memory card over 3GB.  When I tried to download my photos the evening, the camera had a "communication error" message.  According to the manual, that means images could not be transferred "due to a large amount of images (approx 1000) stored on the memory card. Use a commercially available USB card reader to transfer the images"   Buy another product? Bleep that. I just deleted until I could down load the photos from this afternoon's adventure.  After I wrote this, a wise person said try the old put the memory card in the computer method.  I'll see if I can figure out how to transfer just the day's pics, not 6 months worth. 
t



I returned to the Seminole State Forest. I worked in the morning, was on the water at 12:53. One other vehicle at the launch site






That one vehicle must belong to a couple coming up stream in red canoe.  I asked how far the went. "All the way"  To the Wekiva? "Yes"  Was there a downed tree?  "No, clear all the way"  That was good news.



Overcast, so unlike Wednesday, the gators weren't out.  Saw just two all afternoon.  The first, as I passed a worn spot on the bank and thought, that's a good gator spot.  It was on the other side, just the head out of the water.




Gator #2.   Floating down Blackwater Creek, I let loose a loud sneeze.  Loud enough to startle a bear.  I just saw a black shape suddenly run in the forest, away from me.  Could have been a hog, I'm trying to convince myself I saw round ears.



 These must be the guys that cleared the way.  They had a second boat, just up Creek of my sometimes stopping point, that they had taken over.  Two guys, one already in the woods, the other just getting out of the boat, did not notice me as I paddled past.
Was this the blockage?  No, the big one was downstream of the depth marker.



Here is the newly cut path.

In at least 35 visits to Blackwater Creek, I had never noticed the above placard, until today.   My friend Stephanie saw it her first time on Blackwater Creek, in June.  She took a picture, and I posted it on the Yak Tale from that day.  We wondered who "River" Reeves was.    Turns out, a lover of Blackwater Creek, who has a good friend, Jim.


 So, if you spot the "River" Reeves, placard, treat it. and the surrounding area with respect.


Entering the Wekiva River, 3 PM.  Headed down River. Felt like up, into a strong north wind.



I paddled for 30 minutes, then turned around.






Four motor boats on the Wekiva.  All got a "Thank you!" as they slowed when going by.  Much better than a mumbled "F you"


Back to Blackwater Creek, 4 PM.


People who don't know better think seasons don't change in  Florida.  They need to get in a kayak.



Another seasonal sign is more ibis than usual.  I see ibis year round, but others must migrate, as I see a lot more in fall and winter.



Nice of the one alligator I photoed on the way down to stay on the same log.   Speaking of staying, I talked to the 2 guys how set up camp on the bank, asking if I needed to thank them for clearing the way. Yes. We must have been asleep when you went by. I told them no, I saw them on the other side of the Creek,  They said they had gone to drag a deer, that had been shot, not by them, deeper into the woods.  Interesting.  We were in Lower Wekiva State Preserve, no hunting allowed.  So either someone is poaching, or more likely, during the recent muzzle loading hunt in the Seminole State Forest, someone shot a deer, and failed to track it.  Camping, except at designated sites, isn't allowed either.  I asked if the figured the chances of any State official coming up the Creek were slim and none.  "People have been camping here for 50 years"
Paddled past the launch site for 10 minutes, then came back, landing at 6:20.



Five and a half hours, without a break.  My break spot was occupied.  Can't give them too much grief, they did clear a pretty big tree.  It was cool, put on a windbreaker as I loaded the car. Also protected against the mosquitoes.   Saw two deer on the way out.  57 degrees on the Time/Temp at the turn to my home.  I'll be back on the Creek tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Rick, Sunshine State said...

What a gorgeous trip Dave!!!
Love the photo,s of the wildlife.. and the beautiful environment pictures.