Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cedar Key and more

Some version of the above tumble down boat house appears in every home in Cedar Key.  I may exaggerate, slightly.  Its in unit 5B, Old Fenimore Mill, where I'm enjoying my birthday weekend.  Its today, thank you.  I'm taking Monday off/
As usual when I visit Cedar Key, I first kayaked the Wacasassa and "other" Wekiva Rivers.
It was chilly in Levy County at 7:00 am.   I had on the usual swim trunks. On top, two shirts, one long sleeve, one short.   Good  think I had a windbreaker and nylon pants in the car.  Weather Underground reports the morning low was 41, in nearby Bronson, the county seat.   No one but a couple fishermen on the bank when I arrived.  By the time I launched,  4 motorboats were lining up at the ramp.  To go down the Wacassasa.  I went up River.

 Juvi yellow crowned night heron
Wacasassa left, Wekiva right.  I went right.


Last visit to the Wacasassa and Wekiva, I saw manatees.  Although both are spring fed, and don't get too cold, as you can see from the steam rising, I have a feeling the manatess have left for warmer waters.  Like Crystal River, no to far south.  I did see deer, five. On my left as I paddled up the Wekiva.  To far away for a good photo, but I was going to try.  They all ran before I pushed the button.  Did get a otter.

Got to this log at 8:30 and decided it made a good turn around spot.


 Fall colors.

The deer I saw were does, so I looked for a buck.  I saw a  horned animal, just not what I was hoping for.


I was more nervous paddling past this big boy, in a red kayak, than I am when passing large alligators.

I did not capture the bald eagle that flew across the Wekiva River.

Back at the confluence at 10:38, now, I paddled up the Wacasassa.






Saw some wild hogs, another otter. Turned around after 30 minutes.



Landed at five after 11.
The lot now almost full with pickups and boat trailers. Other than at the ramp, I had seen no one in 4 hours.  That could change, if a woman who talked to me as I loaded the yak has her way.  Said she wants to take tour groups here.  There goes the neighborhood.

The Levy County Wacasassa River Ramp is 120 mile from my house.  Another 30 to Cedar Key.  I stopped on the way.


To take pictures of Otter Creek.  For a friend who says she took family vacations in the area and never saw water.
The view from a balcony swing- 2nd level, so it can't be a porch swing, at Unit 5B, Old Fenimore Mill. Same complex I stayed Labor Day weekend.   Building 6, then. 1-6 are Gulf front.  55 steps from car to water's edge.
In the water at 1:25. Paddled to Astena Otie Key.  Took a different course from the one I've always set before, towards the dock on the northwest side of the island. Aimed for the east side of the key.


I had thoughts of paddling to Seahorse Key, but its a long way, so I'll do that Sunday, weather permitting. I photoed three distant keys, and turned around.  Snake Key.
 Seahorse Key
 North Key
Open water isn't the best play to see wildlife, unless I ran across dolphins, or turtles, or sharks, ect.  No such luck. The birds were hanging out on the Aestna Otie dock.




I do not know if this dock is from the 19th century when there were lumber mills on Aestna Otie.




 Ruins.
When does one become an "old" coot.

All a matter of attitude, I suppose. 
I landed, and walked, past the broken windmill, to the cemetery.



A short walk, its a small island. Lucky for me, no mosquitoes.  I was in swim trunks and long sleeves, rolled up.  Cool night must have taken care of the bugs.



A very old burial ground.  The above marker  reads remains on the site are at least 4000 years old. The headstones are from the 1880's to 1890's.



Great blue heron on the windmill tower.

Alien craft?   I think its a cistern.  Sealed, so no one falls in.



More ruins? Or driftwood all landed perpendicular to the shore.  I pushed off shore at 3:40.






My unit, wood trim doors, from the water.  I kept paddling, into the Number 2 channel, behind the building.
 Seeing mainly just the prow of a sunk ship, I knew I could explore areas off limits at low tide.


 I was pretty sure the above bird had pale legs. That's how you distinguish a great white heron from a great egret, which has black legs.
Young blue heron.




 Legs look kinda dark in this photo.
Water level was deep enough to enter the channel at the Nature's Landing condos and look for black crowned night herons in the mangroves.

Many more than the two you see. Black crowned night herons tend to take flight on the slightest provocation.  Like a kayak moving through the mangroves.

Nature's Landing dock on the Number 2 Channel.  The posts are from the old railroad.  First to cross Florida.  From Cedar Key to Fernandina, in 1861.

 Pelicans, and a black crowned night heron, near the Old Fennnimore Mill fishing dock.


It was 5:25.  I had been ready to call it a day about an hour before.  I stayed on the water for the sunset.
 But first, I had to get past the buildings on Dock Street.
 And the Dock.

For a clear view



My camera has a "Supervivid" setting.  If using it is cheating, I'm guilty.
 Going
 Going
Gone
I turned and headed for "home".


Which was not the "Honeymoon Cottage"   I did not know it was called that. Thanks, Joanne.  Here's a link showing it through the years.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickip/galleries/72157623194497111/#photo_2333442819   First damaged by Hurricane Elena in 1985, according to one reference.   I turned around to get show shots with the sunset behind to house.





Paddling past the Big Dock, a doiphin surfaced within a few yards of me. I followed it for a while, to no avail.




Approaching the condo, 6:10 PM.  A day that began, at least the kayaking part, at 7.  Too bad I wasn't born in summer, so I'd have more time to enjoy my birthday.  Just kidding, Mom.

9 comments:

Rick, Sunshine State said...

The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune.

Happy Birthday Dave ;-)

Luis said...

Happy Birthday Dave!!!

Dave said...

Thank you both. Rick, is that a Dutch proverb? Better than being a fiddler crab.

Joanne said...

Aw, the old Honeymoon Cottage is still there, and I had wondered. It didn't look much better than that when I first say it about 25 years ago.

Water Rat said...

Happy Birthday Dave, so jealous of all the wildlife, yesterday on the water I was thrilled to see ducks!

Dave said...

Joanne, never knew it was called, "Honeymoon Cottage" I do know it has appeared here before.

Water Rat, I never though about Lake Tahoe for kayaking. From your blog, I want to go. A brother lives in San Francisco and has shared a home near Squaw Valley for years. I need to find out if that's a ski season only arrangement.

Cindy said...

Hey Dave! Enjoy your blog. I'm an owner at Fenimore - there's some mangroves behind the buildings and there's usually some Rosies and Night Herons hanging in there depending on the time of year. Lots of wildlife on that side. And the sunsets from the dock are pretty amazing come June/July.

Cedar Key Cindy

Dave said...

Cindy, the first time I paddled past the OFM fishing dock, there were spoonbills on the sandy bank This was my fifth long weekend in Cedar Key, 2nd at OFM. Labor Day weekend, I speent all my time in the channels, bays and bayous. Too windy then to be out in the Gulf.
Saw lots of spoonies then, none this weekend.

Suwannee Refugee said...

Folks laugh when I tell them it gets cold in FL, but if you're around Cedar Key, Suwannee, or Steinhatchee in the winter, you better bundle up. Layer!!