Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Homosassa Home to Mason Creek


Posted from the shaded patio, as the deck is in the sun. The view.
Last photo of the weekend.  I could have another beer and post more, but time to drive home. Hopefully I'll be adding photos to yesterday's Tale around 7 pm.

11 pm, Sunday.  Time to post the traditional "views of Dave's lodging" photos, before turning in.







Two full baths, too. Well almost full. The one in the master is shower only.  The other,shower and tub.


Launched from the dock at 10:25.  I had the owner's permission to leave the car in the driveway and use the dock

Nicer homes on a neighboring canal.
Entering the Homosassa. 
Headed down River, wind at my back.  Looking for Channel Marker 72, which according to an email I sent to friends and family back in June, 2005, was near a marker for the Paddling Trail.  I should have looked at the email a bit more closely.  Marker 72 is near the northbound Trail, my plan today was to paddle south.  I saw marker 75, near a creek entrance.  With a 25 MPH speed limit sign.  Who would put a paddling trail on a waterway where boats can go 25 mph?  So I kept going.

Channel Marker 70 is above.  I turned back, and entered the creek with the 25 mph sign. It was the correct one.  My email of 6 years ago mentions trail markers.  None are there now, at least that I saw.

 The trail enters the northern section of the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge.  I did not see any wildlife until I left the Refuge                        

The opening photo of the Tale is from this section.


 This structure makes a good landmark for the paddler without GPS, map, or compass.  Don't  try this at home.  Or rather, on the water.
But, I knew I was where I was supposed to be when I saw the Mason Creek ramp.
I had not seen anyone since I left the Homosassa over an hour ago.

 Heck of a house in the middle of nowhere.  Mason Creek branches off in three directions.  I wanted to find a bridge I remembered from my only prior visit.  I found it, then turned back.




Limestone banks.


I took a break at the ramp, ate a sandwich.  At the end of Mason Creek Road. Only amenities are the concrete ramp and two garbage cans.  Parking on the road.




Return to the Homosassa River.

Made the short upstream paddle, the wind had died down from the morning, to the unnamed water way that took me back to my Thanksgiving home.
 Anhinga series. Swimming
 Takeoff
 Drying.  The same bird.
 The home. It's for sale.  Prime kayaking location. 

 The cross canal couple had never seen a coot before.
Floating dock made getting in and out of the kayak relatively simple.  All the other docks on the canal are raised up. Living or renting one of those I'd have to use the neighborhood ramp. I landed at 3.
Took advantage of the WI-FI and posted the first two photos of the Tale.  Here's one more from the patio.
I am in the midst of a great time of year.   Starting with my birthday weekend, every two weeks I have an extended weekend.  Birthday in Cedar Key for 3 days, Thanksgiving in Homosassa for 4.  In 2 weeks, five days with family in Sanibel.  Two weeks after that, 3 days Christmas weekend, location TBD.  Don't know yet if  I get January 2, off.

No comments: