Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rock Springs Run

My last time on Rock Springs Run, I saw 9 deer. Got an early start this morning, on the water at 7:45.  The opening pic, butterfly, not deer shows I did not get any deer photos.  Did not even see one.  Just goes to show you never know what you will see from the kayak.








Early morning gator on the Wekiva River.
 On to Rock Springs Run
 Blue and tri colored heron



Both Otter Camp and Indian Mound were unoccupied.  On a beautiful weekend.  A family was camping, illegally, on the right bank up Run of Indian Mound.  What, can't afford five bucks?  First people coming down stream had spent the night at Big Buck.  They were the only people I saw on the water on the way up.  I turned around at 10:12.



Despite not seeing any deer, its always great to be on the water.



 Otter Camp Oak.  I stopped at Indian Mound, planned on walking to the site, have a tangerine and candy bar at the campsite, but the mosquitoes were buzzing, so I got back in the kayak


About ten paddlers coming up the Run, more on the Wekiva.  Not bad for a Sunday.



Traffic jam.
Landed at 12:45.



More fish than usual in Wekiwa Spring.







Viewed the conventional way. Through my face mask, not windows as at Homosassa Spring.

Determined to see a deer, I drove to the Sand Lake parking area and walked around the small lake.


No deer, so I went on the main hiking trail.


And discovered Wekiwa Springs State Park now has horse tours. $25 for 45 minutes.


I did not walk for long, I was hungry and wanted to see some of the Packer game.  As they played Tampa, I got to hear it on the car radio.  Saw the last eight minutes at home.  No deer.

Three days of work this week, then 4 days of kayaking.  Where?  I have three days to figure that out.

1 comment:

Rick, Sunshine State said...

4 days for kayak what a life ;-)))