Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday in Cedar Key

White pelicans near Seahorse Key, Cedar Key National Wildlife Refuge. Nothing like down loading photos and saying, "Wow, how did I get that shot?" 

I woke up at 6:40, having left the blinds open.
 To be ready for the sunrise.  It was light, before the sun appeared over the horizon.




Worth waking up for.



If these were buzzards, instead of seagulls, I'd cue up The Simpson's theme.  Crystal River nuclear plant on the horizon.
Photos of Unit 5B.




I ate a leisurely breakfast and was on the water at 9:05. Which was low tide.  I had to pull the kayak about 30 yards.
Hard to tell from the photo above, as there is a sheen of water up to the beach.  But, I can see the break line.  Had to walk past that.

When I turned in Saturday night, the marine forecast was a light chop.  Sunday morning, it had changed to a moderate chop. Weather.com forecast winds from the east/southeast at 13 mph diminishing to 7 in the afternoon.  It was a bit choppy to start, but the wind was at by back.  Hopefully the forecast of light winds for my return paddle would be correct.

Good Monday morning. 9:44 am. I did not do a pre check out paddle. Went for a walk instead. Looks like a beautiful day. I'll check out at 11:00, but keep the car under the unit and paddle from Old Fenimore Mill.  Now, I'll post a few more pics from Sunday while I enjoy a cheese steak sandwich for breakfast.  I got a dinner, two breakfasts and a lunch out of some cheap steak from Publix. And I have Omaha Steaks, a birthday present from my Mom in the freezer back home. Thanks, Mom.




The usual gathering of gulls, pelicans, and cormorants at the Astena Otie dock
I diverted slightly from my destination, Seahorse Key, to take the dock photos. That completed, I continued across the open water.




 Past the aptly named, Grassy Key.
Seahorse Key in the distance. 2.5, 3 miles?  You could almost walk across at low tide.  The water was about a foot deep for a long way.  Deeper water is nearby, I saw a dolphin. maybe two. I've forgotten as I write this Monday morning.  No photos to refresh my memory.  In the shallows, looking down, I saw a sea turtle.  From the size, smallish for a sea turtle, likely a Kemp's Ridley. Which I have seen before in the waters off Cedar Key.

Perhaps the highlight of the day was three sorties of white pelicans flying from Seahorse Key.




Tail end Charlie.
Approaching Seahorse Key. I've always, always being twice, maybe three times, gone left here.  Today, I had reason to go to my right.




White pelicans do not nest here, or anywhere in Florida. They are winter visitors.

10:30. Time to make an entry in the Unit 5B log, pack the car, check out, kayak.  More to come during the Packer game tonight.

:I'm home, got back about 7:20.  8:25 now. That's PM.  I'll see how much I can acomplish while watching the Packer game.
Back to Seahorse Key.


And the Seahorse Key Lighthouse.





The first lighthouse was built in 1854.  Good spot for one. Shallow water casue danger to shipping, and, at 52 feet, Seahorse Key is the highest natural point on the west coast of Florida. It is not open to the public, other than the occassional "open house"  Often held on the 4th of July or in conjunction with the annual Cedar Key Seafood Festival, held in October.

I had seen the lighthouse before,  its hard to spot, at least for me, in the trees.  But always from the other side of Seahorse Key.  This was the first time I saw the support buildings.  When paddling around Seahorse Key before, I must have cut off the circle to head back to Cedar Key.





 Squatter.  Belted kingfisher on a osprey platform.


Seahorse Key is part of the Cedar Keys National Wildlife Refuge.  Established in 1929 as a refuge and breeding ground for colonial birds. 





I saw a bald eagle, in flight.  Hoped it would land somewhere that I could see it again. It did not.  A second, or maybe the same eagle, flew across the water towards Astena Otie Key

 Before this visit, I thought this staircase was the only way to the lighthouse.

 Highest point on Florida's Gulf coast.

I landed for lunch at 12:20.  Something you can't do on Seahorse Key from March to June. Come ashore.  After seeing nobody since a family near the lighthouse,  a boat was just around the corner. I landed anyway.

 Made the long crossing back to Cedar Key.  Accompanied by two dolphins for a time.  Just one photo, a tail shot.
Atsena Otie.



Flying pelican.
 Landing great egret



Landing Dave, 2:20 PM.
 Sat on the balcony to start this Tale. One quibble about the unit. Could use a higher table. I had to reach to type. And grab my beer.
After an hour's rest, I went for a short bike ride.



A short ride.  Came to a turn, right to Cemetery Point,  left to the airfield.  I turned left.






Biking in Cedar Key is almost as scenic as kayaking.

Of course, even sitting on the balcony provides scenery.

Back in the water at 4:50.


I used a different strategy for tonight's sunset.  Instead of paddling towards Dock Street, I paddled away, to Dog Island.



I figured by the time I circled the Island, I'd have an unobstructed view of the setting sun.



I figured correctly.




 Green flash?


One thing I liked about today's location, as opposed to Saturday, was I did not have to worry as much about power boats returning to the public ramp after sunset. I was far away from the traffic.  And, had a flashlight, just in case.



I went to the unit, and got ready for dinner.  Out.  My usual spot, the Pickled Pelican is closed Sundays.  Non-holiday Sundays.  I ate there the last two Labor Days and Memorial Day Sundays. So, time to find a new place.  Ate at the Rusty Rim.
I had clams and a oyster po'boy.  Pretty good.  Gotta have clams when in Cedar Key.  Washed down with a rum and coke.  Something unavailable at the Pickled Pelican, which is beer and wine only.
Moon from the balcony.  I had a full day.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

The opening shot of the pelicans is stunning! I'm convinced, I have to go back to Cedar Key, soon.