Dave's Yak Tales

Cedar Key Sunset

Sunday, December 18, 2011

DeLeon Springs, Spring Garden Creek

Sunday, December 18, 2011. More glossy ibis then I have ever seen.  I'll tell you about it, and more, once I finish Saturday's Tale.
I had not been to De Leon Springs State Park since July, 2010.  Went today with Stephanie, who saw the Old Sugar Mill pancake house from the water for the first time.
In the water of Spring Garden Lake at 10:20.




Saw a big bird on a tall tree.  Eagle? Closer observation, just a vulture.   Looking back, I saw a manatee exhale.  Paddled to where it had been, did not see it.



Paddled along the north shore of Spring Garden Lake. Or as close to shore as I could get.  Shallow and weedy in spots.   Out to deeper water, past the coots, into Spring Garden Creek.



It was a little cool to start, but too warm for a jacket.  I put the windbreaker in the hold and was in the usual trunks and t-shirt.



Hydrilla lined both sides of Spring Garden Creek.









I think I've seen glossy ibis in 3 places.  Myakka River, Orlando Wetlands Park, and Spring Garden Creek










We were the only paddlers on the water.  A few powerboats, not enough to be bothersome.


 Coots were everywhere.
Rushing to the Early Bird Special?
 





This large gator was just past the Pontoon Landing.   We continued towards Lake Woodruff.



A view of the large Lake, before turning around.



Pontoon Landing.  Named for a pontoon boat.  Which has been at Hontoon Island for the last 5 or 6 years.  The hunting sign has been there for over a year.   It was there my last visit, when it was not hunting season.
Nor, was there a hunt on this day  Had I known, I would have shown Stephanie the middens just off the River.  Instead, we just ate lunch close to shore.


 Alligators clear space in the hydrilla.










The coot population was enormous.  The only other place I can think of with such a vast number is Salt Springs Run.  Which is very much like Spring Garden Creek.   A wide, open water way the empties into a large lake, George for Salt Spring Run, Woodruff for Spring Garden Creek.


 The paddlewheel era lives on.




I think this is a canal, not a natural waterway.  I saw two alligators. Back to the Creek.




Great egret preening.




I thought the moss, palms and blue sky would make a good picture.



My walkie talkie crackled. Stephanie saw a pair of bald eagles.  She was behind me, I turned around, but they had flown out of sight.  Later, I did see one, soaring.

 Swamp ape !
 De Leon Spring, flowing over the weir.
I paddled about the area outside the Spring, looking for manatees.  Was ready to give up when I saw bubbles.  Waited for whatever it was to surface.  Nothing did. Ready to head in, and there was a manatee munching on lily pads.

Landed at 4:45.  A nice, slow day on the water.  I will next greet you from Key West.  Merry Christmas.













2 comments:

Luis said...

You have also seen Glossy Ibis at the Wekiva River, across Katie's Landings, if my memory is still OK.

Dave said...

Luis, your memoryy is better than mine, thanks for the reminder. But then, we see everything on the Wekiva